What Tools Are Needed to mod a G5 case

teknojunkie

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was wondering if any one knows what tools will I need to Purchase to cut the back parts of a G5 case and making adjustments like gluing stuff down wire cutting and all that im looking for all those parts about for $100 or less nothing more thank you :P

Dremel and the Fiberglass Reinforced Cut-Off wheels. I am not sure if I would get a cordless dremel for this as it does take a bit of force to cut through the back panel.

Other than that it is kind of an odd question. There is no set guide for doing a case mod of any kind and everyone does things slightly different. Tools are not cheap so $100 seems like an unrealistic budget if you have no tools to start with.

Maybe if you told us exactly how you plan on modding the case we can give you better idea as to what tools are needed. And please do not say "To fit PC parts" as that is obvious. There are a few threads here about modding the G5 and the different ways people do it.

Dremel and the Fiberglass Reinforced Cut-Off wheels. I am not sure if I would get a cordless dremel for this as it does take a bit of force to cut through the back panel.

Other than that it is kind of an odd question. There is no set guide for doing a case mod of any kind and everyone does things slightly different. Tools are not cheap so $100 seems like an unrealistic budget if you have no tools to start with.

Maybe if you told us exactly how you plan on modding the case we can give you better idea as to what tools are needed. And please do not say "To fit PC parts" as that is obvious. There are a few threads here about modding the G5 and the different ways people do it.

oh sry I wanted to cut the back of the case not the whole thing but from the pci ports to the connection ports and stick a lian li motherboard tray

This tray

g5(1).jpg

A hacksaw blade is under $1. And yes, you can use a hacksaw blade instead of a dremel. We're taking thin aluminum here. Easy.

However, I don't recommend it. If you can't afford the right tools, maybe find a friend with good metalworking skillz, and hopefully some good tools, like a spiral saw.

A hacksaw blade is under $1. And yes, you can use a hacksaw blade instead of a dremel. We're taking thin aluminum here. Easy.

However, I don't recommend it. If you can't afford the right tools, maybe find a friend with good metalworking skillz, and hopefully some good tools, like a spiral saw.

k thanks yea I have a friend