GMA 900 Core Image not working on Kalyway 10.5.1

M.M Kim

8 posts in this topic

Hi. I currently installed Kalyway 10.5.1 luckily on SSE2! (I booted using Toh kernel.) I want to get core image and Quartz Extreme, but system profiler says it is not supported. I have GMA 900(actually, 915). GMA 900 should be supported since they are used in many macs, and even Apple site says that it's supported. Furthermore, the system profiler says that my maximum VRAM is 64MB, which is actually 128MB.

Anyway, is there any solution to enable core image and quartz extreme?

--Or do i have to boot using mach_kernel or vanilla to get this thing work?

Yeah unfortunately no 915 QE/CI on leopard .. yet. I was working on it past week but got nowhere so I went back to 10.4.11.

The problem is not that it is not supported or will not work, the problem is that people more knowledgeable than me/us are not turning attention to it. 3 years ago, some people made OSX on a PC possible, and not only that, but with SSE3 emulation even; certainly getting 915 to work under leopard will be possible if there is some effort put in.

But I think it's just more trouble than worth, right? Especially when most newer computers don't come with a 915, it's just us laptop users who are stuck. Hopefully someone with more skills gets it to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Likewise keen to see an answer to this. Using Kalyway 10.5.1 on Pavillion Tower running 2.93 Celeron D w/ GMA900.

System Profiler states:

Core Image: Software

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Of note, no cube effects, time machine animations etc...

Is it theoretically possible to trick the PC into thinking its running a GMA950? Would GMA900 support Core Animation?

Let us know any thoughts on this matter.....

The problem is not that it is not supported or will not work, the problem is that people more knowledgeable than me/us are not turning attention to it. 3 years ago, some people made OSX on a PC possible, and not only that, but with SSE3 emulation even; certainly getting 915 to work under leopard will be possible if there is some effort put in.

First of all, stop being so ungreatful about people who know/do more than you. If you knew about how Core Image works, you'd know it's radically different from Quartz Extreme, and there are reasons why CI can't run on a GMA 900. When the original dev kits shipped, CI was supported through a low level solution only, and a hacked together CI that was less than perfect. The official requirements of Leopard's Core Image includes Pixel Shader 2.0, which the GMA 900 DOES NOT SUPPORT, therefore, Core Image will never be able to PROPERLY and fully work on this device.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
First of all, stop being so ungreatful about people who know/do more than you. If you knew about how Core Image works, you'd know it's radically different from Quartz Extreme, and there are reasons why CI can't run on a GMA 900. When the original dev kits shipped, CI was supported through a low level solution only, and a hacked together CI that was less than perfect. The official requirements of Leopard's Core Image includes Pixel Shader 2.0, which the GMA 900 DOES NOT SUPPORT, therefore, Core Image will never be able to PROPERLY and fully work on this device.

So I am running 10.5.1 right now on my laptop with Intel GMA900 (i915) graphic card with FULL QE/CI and everything. Not a single thing that doesn't work, disproving your entire post. How about now?

FYI the Leopard OpenGL stack uses LLVM, and so features not directly supported by hardware are supplemented by Apple's software implementation. Regardless, on my system I see a performance increase compared to the same card running in Tiger (slight) or on Linux (*heavily better performance* compared to latest 2.3 drivers).

Please stop saying "get better hardware" if you don't have it in you to support older hardware via software mods.

Cheers.