new system build

8 posts in this topic

Well, its that time where i want to rebuild my pc, i have sold my xeon dual processor pc,

Here is my plans

MSI-P35-neo3 EFINITY (EFI board) ill be the guinea pig.

Keeping e6300 processor for now, Will be over-clocked to 3GHz+-

Zalman Water Tower Cooler(near silent operation)

Will upgrade the Zalman Pump to a higher flow one if cpu overheats.(doubt it.)

2GB of ddr2 ram

7800gt oc or x1900gt havent decided, i have both cards..

DVDrw sata

raptor 74gb (main system)

160gb sata drive (Storage)

The new msi board will have 2 pcie slots for video cards(crossfire ready) could i run both cards for multiple monitor output? just curious.

The HDD will be setup with Mac OSX as the primary system, with VMware fusion for Windows Vista, because only vista 64bit would be able to boot from it. (64bit with sp1 is the only windows that supports efi, 32 bit will never support it)

Has anyone Gotten any sata raid to work ?

What do you guys think of the setup?

• 2 months later...
Well, its that time where i want to rebuild my pc, i have sold my xeon dual processor pc,

Here is my plans

MSI-P35-neo3 EFINITY (EFI board) ill be the guinea pig.

Keeping e6300 processor for now, Will be over-clocked to 3GHz+-

Zalman Water Tower Cooler(near silent operation)

Will upgrade the Zalman Pump to a higher flow one if cpu overheats.(doubt it.)

2GB of ddr2 ram

7800gt oc or x1900gt havent decided, i have both cards..

DVDrw sata

raptor 74gb (main system)

160gb sata drive (Storage)

The new msi board will have 2 pcie slots for video cards(crossfire ready) could i run both cards for multiple monitor output? just curious.

The HDD will be setup with Mac OSX as the primary system, with VMware fusion for Windows Vista, because only vista 64bit would be able to boot from it. (64bit with sp1 is the only windows that supports efi, 32 bit will never support it)

Has anyone Gotten any sata raid to work ?

What do you guys think of the setup?

Hi, have you (or anyone) actually tried this out yet? I'm interested to know if/how OSx86 or Vanilla OSX will run on an EFI board...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi ....

I have the EFINITY Mobo ....... directly ordered it in Japan, no problem ( try shoppingmalljapan ) :-)

It has true EFI ....... but wont't boot from the Leopard DVD. The EFI does not know where to boot from and it has no driver for the HFS. In the EFI shell some important commands are missing, so you cannot choose to boot from a file, etc.

The BIOS compatibility mode runs smoothly, it was no problem to install Kalyway ...... funny situation now: running EFI emulation on a true EFI Mobo.

Conclusion: Nice Mobo ..... but the EFI thing does not work like some have hoped it would. OOB it offers no improvement over a standard BIOS Mobo.

As far as I have understood, it should be possible to incorporate the necessary drivers into the EFI .... but I have not (yet?) figured out how to do it