snoopy12533

Cant Install on my Shuttle SG33G5

42 posts in this topic

i was able to sucessfully install ipc 10.5.6 on my shuttle. i didn't bother with the video since i completely misread the spec before buying this, so i just went out and picked up the msi 9400gt. another thing that i can't seem to get to work is the digital out for the audio. I know that it does work since xp can enable it after the driver is installed, but beyond that nothing else. I will try to see if i can get multichannel going via the analog, but i think at this point i will leave it at that.

Advertisement

ok so i was able to get the digital out working. since alot of us have had problems trying to get this going, i'll post what i did to get my system going. i installed 10.5.6 via the iPC install dvd. so far everything is working as expected. i haven't tried getting sleep to work, but that's not a huge issue for me right now

i installed the following in addition to the base system:

drivers, chipset drivers, intel ichx sata drivers

drivers, audio drivers, alcxxx, alc888 (not sure if this was needed, but i had installed it anyway)

driver, ethernet drivers, marvell yukon 88e8056

fixes and patches, shutdown/restart fix

fixes and patches, uuid error fix

fixes and patches, applesmbios patch, applesmbios-27 rev3 800mhz

i also changed the sata bios setting to ide.

to get the digital audio working i used taruga's applehdapatcher_v1.20 and the attached dumpfile. ideally you should make your own codec dump.

you'll have to get and install your own video card, at this time i wasn't able to find a driver for the gma 3100. i picked up an msi 9400gt and installed the nvida drivers.

alc888dd.txt

Thanks for providing the dump for the applehdapatcher. Right now, I'm stuck using ideneb 10.5.5 because I couldn't get audio working with IPC 10.5.6 I'll have to install this next week.

I just picked up a 8800GT to replace my current video card. What's the best driver to use? NVInject?

Thanks for providing the dump for the applehdapatcher. Right now, I'm stuck using ideneb 10.5.5 because I couldn't get audio working with IPC 10.5.6 I'll have to install this next week.

I just picked up a 8800GT to replace my current video card. What's the best driver to use? NVInject?

Yeap, I think that's what I used.

Just updated to 10.5.7, needed to reinstall audio and network.

Finally got Leopard or Snow Leopard to work properly on my Shuttle SG33G5M Deluxe. C2Quad 6600, 4GB DDR2-800, SATA LG DVD/RW-RAM, SATA Maxtor 300GB, SATA Samsung 1TB, BFG GeForce 9800GT 1GB PCI-E

Leopard: using iPC 10.5.6 (vanilla kernel)

Snow Leopard: using Hazard 10.6.2 Client Server Intel/AMD (vanilla kernel)

MOST IMPORTANT SETTING is BIOS -> set SATA MODE to "IDE". I don't have any IDE device in my set up (SATA LG DVD/RW-RAM, 2 SATA Hard Drives), so don't fall for other people telling you to set "ACHI"… when I was using "ACHI", I had nothing but trouble. Leopard would install, but on boot up, it would freeze, hang, or give me kernel panic… not stable at all. And there was absolutely no luck with Snow Leopard at all… would install, but kernel panic 100% of the time disregard kernel selected or extensions, DSDT… etc.

Here is the important BIOS settings of my current system:

CPU Feature:

PPM (Native Mode)

Limit CPU Max Val (Disabled)

CIE Function (Auto)

Execute Disable Bit (Enabled)

Integrated Peripherals:

On Chip IDE

SATA Mode (IDE)

Legacy Mode Support (Enabled)

USB Device Setting

USB 2.0 Controller (Diabled) -> this would allow a USB Mac keyboard to be plugged in when boot, if enabled, can't even boot past the first Shuttle DVO screen

Bootloader

Chameleon v2 RC5 pre11 r112

PC EFI 10.6

One note, built-in Firewire is giving me Invalid GUID fffffffffffffffffffff, I have a PCI firewire card, once plug in, it gets recognized and I have Firewire.

If you can go with Snow Leopard, not sure why you would be content to stay with Leopard… so I'm just going to list my Snow Leopard config

Hazard 10.6.2 Client Server SSE2, SSE3, AMD dvd

Vanilla kernel (no kernel is selected)

Voodoo HDA 2.5.3 (for the ALC888 Sound Card)

ATAPortInjector

JMicronATAInjector

ElliotForceLegacyRTC (for CMOS Reset)

About this Mac

DSDT Patch GUI

OpenHaltRestart

Orange Icon

UUID

For video I use GFXUtil for a EPI string in com.apple.boot.plist… no luck with the built in Intel 3100

Upon Reboot, use -f -v flag

Sound -> working

Ethernet -> not working (the distro Ethernet driver even selected won't work, but easy fix… read on)

Video of course OK with the EFI String, if you use a different video card, you might have to try…

For Ethernet to work you have to do the following:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Ctrl+W to search for 8053, change it to 8056

Go down several lines, change 4362 to 4364

Ctrl+O to save file

Ctrl+X to exit

reboot

remember to use -f flag on subsequent reboot

When you see OSX again… a message will tell you a new network interface is found, click OK, and then in the Network System Preferences pane, just click Apply, and you are all set!!!

If you insist staying on Leopard…

(going by memory, so you'll have to look for similar wordings…)

Stick with iPC 10.5.6

use vanilla kernel

OpenHaltRestart

SATA drive icon fix

AppleSMIOS ddr-2 800

Ethernet tricks work the same

For sound, download the file form this thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1252250

install the two kexts and you'll get sound… of course -f on reboot

Because you don't have an valid Ethernet card during install, you might have an invalid UUID… recommend using UUID.kext follow this thread… the guy with the screen shot showing you the steps will get it done

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=250.0

Good luck!!

Finally got Leopard or Snow Leopard to work properly on my Shuttle SG33G5M Deluxe. C2Quad 6600, 4GB DDR2-800, SATA LG DVD/RW-RAM, SATA Maxtor 300GB, SATA Samsung 1TB, BFG GeForce 9800GT 1GB PCI-E

Leopard: using iPC 10.5.6 (vanilla kernel)

Snow Leopard: using Hazard 10.6.2 Client Server Intel/AMD (vanilla kernel)

MOST IMPORTANT SETTING is BIOS -> set SATA MODE to "IDE". I don't have any IDE device in my set up (SATA LG DVD/RW-RAM, 2 SATA Hard Drives), so don't fall for other people telling you to set "ACHI"… when I was using "ACHI", I had nothing but trouble. Leopard would install, but on boot up, it would freeze, hang, or give me kernel panic… not stable at all. And there was absolutely no luck with Snow Leopard at all… would install, but kernel panic 100% of the time disregard kernel selected or extensions, DSDT… etc.

Here is the important BIOS settings of my current system:

CPU Feature:

PPM (Native Mode)

Limit CPU Max Val (Disabled)

CIE Function (Auto)

Execute Disable Bit (Enabled)

Integrated Peripherals:

On Chip IDE

SATA Mode (IDE)

Legacy Mode Support (Enabled)

USB Device Setting

USB 2.0 Controller (Diabled) -> this would allow a USB Mac keyboard to be plugged in when boot, if enabled, can't even boot past the first Shuttle DVO screen

Bootloader

Chameleon v2 RC5 pre11 r112

PC EFI 10.6

One note, built-in Firewire is giving me Invalid GUID fffffffffffffffffffff, I have a PCI firewire card, once plug in, it gets recognized and I have Firewire.

If you can go with Snow Leopard, not sure why you would be content to stay with Leopard… so I'm just going to list my Snow Leopard config

Hazard 10.6.2 Client Server SSE2, SSE3, AMD dvd

Vanilla kernel (no kernel is selected)

Voodoo HDA 2.5.3 (for the ALC888 Sound Card)

ATAPortInjector

JMicronATAInjector

ElliotForceLegacyRTC (for CMOS Reset)

About this Mac

DSDT Patch GUI

OpenHaltRestart

Orange Icon

UUID

For video I use GFXUtil for a EPI string in com.apple.boot.plist… no luck with the built in Intel 3100

Upon Reboot, use -f -v flag

Sound -> working

Ethernet -> not working (the distro Ethernet driver even selected won't work, but easy fix… read on)

Video of course OK with the EFI String, if you use a different video card, you might have to try…

For Ethernet to work you have to do the following:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Ctrl+W to search for 8053, change it to 8056

Go down several lines, change 4362 to 4364

Ctrl+O to save file

Ctrl+X to exit

reboot

remember to use -f flag on subsequent reboot

When you see OSX again… a message will tell you a new network interface is found, click OK, and then in the Network System Preferences pane, just click Apply, and you are all set!!!

If you insist staying on Leopard…

(going by memory, so you'll have to look for similar wordings…)

Stick with iPC 10.5.6

use vanilla kernel

OpenHaltRestart

SATA drive icon fix

AppleSMIOS ddr-2 800

Ethernet tricks work the same

For sound, download the file form this thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1252250

install the two kexts and you'll get sound… of course -f on reboot

Because you don't have an valid Ethernet card during install, you might have an invalid UUID… recommend using UUID.kext follow this thread… the guy with the screen shot showing you the steps will get it done

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=250.0

Good luck!!

Has anyone tried installing Snow Leopard with Build 10A432 gm v.3.5? I have the same shuttle and tried so many times and fail!

I managed to get sleep working on my SG33G5 by editing the DSDT.aml file. I attached them for your sleeping enjoyment... ;)

Also: I'd really like to get my nVidia 8400gs working with DSDT rather than using the plist hex string, so any advice is appreciated.

This guide was helpful

In the BIOS I set "ACPI Suspend Type" to S3 in tab "Power Management" and then "Run VGABIOS if S3 resume" to NO. Otherwise the onboard graphic chip would be powered up on wakeup.

sleepy_dsdt.zip

I managed to get sleep working on my SG33G5 by editing the DSDT.aml file. I attached them for your sleeping enjoyment... :)

Also: I'd really like to get my nVidia 8400gs working with DSDT rather than using the plist hex string, so any advice is appreciated.

This guide was helpful

In the BIOS I set "ACPI Suspend Type" to S3 in tab "Power Management" and then "Run VGABIOS if S3 resume" to NO. Otherwise the onboard graphic chip would be powered up on wakeup.

Thx. my SG33G5 can now sleep..but it'll frozen when it's waking up with the screen asking to hold power button to restart. (did the bios setting already)

Thx. my SG33G5 can now sleep..but it'll frozen when it's waking up with the screen asking to hold power button to restart. (did the bios setting already)

What's your exact hardware?

What's your exact hardware?

I managed to fix it by updating the system bios to S119 and it works great now (except for the VoodooHDA problem)

Basically, if I boot normally, the voodooHDA doesn't load (it's installed via Kext helper with proper permission, and I even tried to use pfix and kext utility to rebuild the cache) It only works everytime I boot with '-x32 -f' so my workaround is to sleep instead of shut down...but if it needs to reboot, then I need to boot with parameter to enable voodoohda.

p.s. I installed using Yoni's sg33g5 installation guide.

My hw is with nvidia 8600gt 256mb card, wd 500GB sata HD, LG sata dvd-rw, 2GB ram, core 2 e6750 cpu.

I managed to fix it by updating the system bios to S119 and it works great now (except for the VoodooHDA problem)

Basically, if I boot normally, the voodooHDA doesn't load (it's installed via Kext helper with proper permission, and I even tried to use pfix and kext utility to rebuild the cache) It only works everytime I boot with '-x32 -f' so my workaround is to sleep instead of shut down...but if it needs to reboot, then I need to boot with parameter to enable voodoohda.

p.s. I installed using Yoni's sg33g5 installation guide.

My hw is with nvidia 8600gt 256mb card, wd 500GB sata HD, LG sata dvd-rw, 2GB ram, core 2 e6750 cpu.

you should boot with -x32 as a matter of course. I've found it's just WAY more stable. why not put those params in your boot.plist and then forget about it.

you should boot with -x32 as a matter of course. I've found it's just WAY more stable. why not put those params in your boot.plist and then forget about it.

From Yoni's boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>\

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-pci1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

So I tried:

1) <string>arch=i386 -f</string> <== this will give me frozen boot up

2) <string>-pci1 -f</string> <== this will not be frozen..but the VoodooHDA is not loaded

From Yoni instruction, I'm using Chameleon-RC2-r640.

So what's the setting of the boot.plist I should set to allow me to boot as '-x32 -f'?

Really couldn't tell you... I'm not sure what the pci1 flag achieves as I've never used it myself... -f simply ignores the caches, so I doubt that that is the reason for your crashes. try repairing your permissions again and repairing the volume.

...other than that I really couldn't say.

Really couldn't tell you... I'm not sure what the pci1 flag achieves as I've never used it myself... -f simply ignores the caches, so I doubt that that is the reason for your crashes. try repairing your permissions again and repairing the volume.

...other than that I really couldn't say.

I finally found out what's the main cause of the problem...I downloaded VoodooHDA from internet via safari, and the file is marked by quarantine in safari...so even though it's been having 755 in permission...xattr -l still shows them as quarantine...so I did a recursive remove 'xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine VoodooHDA.kext' and reboot...all works fine now...

I finally found out what's the main cause of the problem...I downloaded VoodooHDA from internet via safari, and the file is marked by quarantine in safari...so even though it's been having 755 in permission...xattr -l still shows them as quarantine...so I did a recursive remove 'xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine VoodooHDA.kext' and reboot...all works fine now...

So can you sleep?

So can you sleep?

I can (after I flash my bios to SG33S119.bin) thx for the work. BTW, just wonder which VoodooHDA version you guys are using.