sata problem with nvidia 650

ffogel

5 posts in this topic

hi, i am sorry if that came up before, but i lurked and searched and googled my ass to find a solution.

my problem: i use the asus p5n32-e sli plus board which uses a combination of the nforce 650i and 570i. i get the very comon still waiting for root device, but couldn'T get any further.

i DON'T have an ide drives, only SATA (including dvd-ram).

- i use iatkos r2, do i need to add some driver to enable it to "read" my fat32 formated sata drive 1 (=disk0)

- in bios i can't change the sata mode, is there a way to get to "advanced" mode (i read in other threads that you could enable compatibility mode or sth. like that but can'T find it)

- is there another way to install it, i read sth about a prepared image, that would be copied to some drive?

anyway, thanks for any help, if i missed some necessary information you would need for an answer please let me know!

thanks a million

ff

so, i tried to the kalyway dvd which would work, all others can't find the root device.

i formated in fat32, i flagged, ... nothing.

kalyway boots and starts the install but right into the configuration (depends on the speed, in diskutility or - if i skip diskutility - in the customize part) it will freeze.

i have no possibility in obtaining any logs or errors.

please be so kind to give me some hints....

Edited by ffogel

• 4 weeks later...

The only way to load it directly to your SATA drive would be to customize the ISO with the kext for your SATA controller. Without already having OS X installed this is next to impossible. Now if you found someone else on these boards with the same configuration, they could send you their Extensions.mkext and the specific kext for the /system/library/extensions/ and you could use UltraISO to inject them onto the DVD to reburn. I did this method with a working install on an IDE disk so in the future if I need to reinstall I wont have to reconnect the IDE drive.

Hello. I am using a similar configuration and similar problem. I have a P5N-E-SLI motherboard (nvidia 650 chipset).

kalyway boots and starts the install but right into the configuration (depends on the speed, in diskutility or - if i skip diskutility - in the customize part) it will freeze.

Could you please describe to me how it "freezes"? I get a the spinning colorful mouse cursor. It will never stop... I can still move the mouse, though.

Do I need to have an IDE drive too? I have a SATAII 250 GB HDD, and an IDE DVD-RW drive.

The weird thing was that for me, Kalyway booted a few times, but now it won't boot AT ALL. I keep getting errors with "atasoftreset(void) ata is slow to respond, ata failed to respond... After these errors, I get a kernel panic.

Kalyway has booted for me too (about 1 in 5 times) but now it won't boot at all...

Please help...