Native Darwin

Guz

3 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm a newbie here, but have read/searched for all that I could find.

But, I am trying to install Darwin natively on a dedicated hard drive (no VMWare, I've tried, it doesn't work). I just want to play around with it, no more, no less. I have searched Apple and OpenDarwin without much sucess for a decent hardware compatability list.

So, does anyone know or can point me to some good online sources for Darwin installation, configuration, etc. (preferably non subscription sites)?

OpenDarwin's web site is basicly dead, not much information has changed for about 2 years (they took away the (Open)Darwin Hardware List page). Apple's site is mainly dedicated to PPC platform. Neither have good discussion forums (Apple is mainly listsrv orientated).

I have a Shuttle ST62K (Zen) system, btw. 512mb RAM, Sony DVD RW, and a 20 gig ATA hard drive, PS2 keyboard/mouse. When I boot the Darwin CD, it hangs when to choose the harddrive to install on. The keyboard is completely locked up (can't even change CAPS lock, or Num lock). (Or just tell me that this system just isn't going to work, no matter what).

Suggestions?

• 3 months later...
Ok, I'm a newbie here, but have read/searched for all that I could find.

But, I am trying to install Darwin natively on a dedicated hard drive (no VMWare, I've tried, it doesn't work). I just want to play around with it, no more, no less. I have searched Apple and OpenDarwin without much sucess for a decent hardware compatability list.

So, does anyone know or can point me to some good online sources for Darwin installation, configuration, etc. (preferably non subscription sites)?

OpenDarwin's web site is basicly dead, not much information has changed for about 2 years (they took away the (Open)Darwin Hardware List page). Apple's site is mainly dedicated to PPC platform. Neither have good discussion forums (Apple is mainly listsrv orientated).

I have a Shuttle ST62K (Zen) system, btw. 512mb RAM, Sony DVD RW, and a 20 gig ATA hard drive, PS2 keyboard/mouse. When I boot the Darwin CD, it hangs when to choose the harddrive to install on. The keyboard is completely locked up (can't even change CAPS lock, or Num lock). (Or just tell me that this system just isn't going to work, no matter what).

Suggestions?

Hey, I assume that you want to install the x86 version of osx on your shuttle. I have the same unit as you do and I have it installled. It works well but I have no sound. I don't yet know how to fix this problem but at this point, I have tried everything. If you are willing to live without sound osx86 works well. There is also a usb sound device you can use if your in a pinch.

-Gil

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I was playing around and I found this...

If you have AC97 audio (PCM) showing in your system...

-Applications-> Utilities-> Audio MIDI Setup

-Go to Properties for AC97 Audio (PCM) There should be two in the drop down menu ...

-Select the last one "AC97 Audio (PCM)" which is the output.

-Change 44000hz to 48000hz

-that will give you sound....

Good luck!!!