Hackintosh Mac Pro - Final Cut Pro Machine

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have an older Power Mac G4 and was looking at purchasing a new Mac Pro.

The prices are incredibly high (no surprise) and was looking at building my own.

I need this machine to primarily edit on FCP.

These are the components I am looking at:

Motherboard - Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Core 2 Quad (Q6600)

OCZ 2x2GB (OCZ2N800SR4GK)

500 GB SATA Seagate Drive

Pioneer DVD/RW Drive 212D (SATA)

What do you guys think?

My research shows that it should work - unless I am missing something.  I thought I'd ask the more experienced guys on here first.  Please keep in mind that I absolutely need FCP installed on this machine... if you guys don't think it will run, I'll just go with a regular Mac Pro (I can claim it on my taxes anyway)...  I just thought that this method would be more fun and powerful.

Thanks!

First off, you should get 4gb ram and I'd go with a p5k asus board (p35 chipset) for max q6600 overclocking. Even if not overlclocking (which you should do!), the older 975 chipset in the P5W was not made for the quads. Also, get rid of the Seagate drive and get a WD or Maxtor (7H500F0) instead. The Seagates have horrible performance on osx86.

Hi guys,

I have an older Power Mac G4 and was looking at purchasing a new Mac Pro.

The prices are incredibly high (no surprise) and was looking at building my own.

I need this machine to primarily edit on FCP.

These are the components I am looking at:

Core 2 Quad (Q6600)

What do you guys think?

My research shows that it should work - unless I am missing something. I thought I'd ask the more experienced guys on here first. Please keep in mind that I absolutely need FCP installed on this machine... if you guys don't think it will run, I'll just go with a regular Mac Pro (I can claim it on my taxes anyway)... I just thought that this method would be more fun and powerful.

Thanks!

I never said it wouldn't work but it does run slower and the overclock potential is much lower with non p35 boards. Unless there is a major price difference and you aren''t going to overclock, the p5k is the much better choice.

Thanks everybody for your remarks!!! Very much appreciated.

Just to confirm rtomek - you are using the P5W board?

I think I am going to build it this weekend. There is only a $25 difference between the P5K and the P5W.

yeah sorry. I'm using the p5w DH deluxe board. Installed with kalyway and everything was working right away. I guess a p5k board might be better for future upgrades though, as most new chips will need that newer chipset. If you want ease of install, I know that using the p5w was extremely easy. (just can't get wifi working right though)

edit: by the way final cut pro also works on my machine. Also, get a graphics card that you know won't cause any issues with drivers/sleep capability. My card only works right with the NVInject drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at the exact configuration.

Core 2 Quad (Q6600)

I'm looking at the Nvideo 7xxx series.. Maybe a 7600GS.. I seen some posts about 256MB vs 512MB which might be cause issues..

Thoughts?

First off, you should get 4gb ram and I'd go with a p5k asus board (p35 chipset) for max q6600 overclocking.

If you decide to go with P5K, don't go with vanilla P5K. Go with a version of P5K which has 9R chipset, so you could use AHCI mode.

Mac Pro. Also, the problems that you can encounter with osx86 are not worth it. I love my macbook and that I have had no problems with it. I cant say that for my desktop. (just spent 3 days and 10 dvds trying to get iATKOS running, then one dvd for kalyway, and boom it boots.)

I'd have to say you should go Mac Pro also if you are going to be doing major FCP for work. Nothing beats compatibility of the real thing. Plus, you don't have to worry about updates or upgrades or anything breaking your machine later on. If you have the cash and need a fully working machine, get the real deal. If it's just a small hobby, hackintosh wins.

If you really want to work with the machine, go for the MAC PRO.

Eight cores pure power, legit software, support, nice and quiet machine...

And for the upgrades, try to get them somewhere else. Two fast harddisks, booting leopard from Softraid should work on a Mac Pro,

BUT here in germany you can hardly get the memory upgrades. DDR2-800-ECC apple certified 2 gig modules are not available, or cost a fortune...(110 € for one!)

my 2 ct

Alot of the new Mac Pros are having freezing/wake from sleep issues, possibly due to the 2600XT vid cards.

I'd at least wait for Apple to get a fix before buying a Mac Pro. See:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/2008_ma...s.html#storytop

Right now, I'd say build your own with one of the new Intel Quad cores to be release within next month or 2.

Use a P35 or X38 chipset mobo. Use WD for HDD - 750GB WD's I have are very quick & quiet, or use 150GB Raptor as boot drive.

Video - 8800GTS or GT.

Important: Use Kalyway 10.5.1 - it runs almost perfect on my hack. Only issues is shutdown from Apple menu doesn't

always work, so I just have to hold my power button on the case for a few seconds for it to turn off. Kalyway is an excellent distro.

I don't even have to use AHCI for my drives.