A Modest Proposal

Hyper X

11 posts in this topic

Everyone who asks if their hardware will run OSX we simply say NO! Or better yet remove their computers so they wont even TRY!

If they cant figure out the HCL Lists or use the search function... I doubt the will be able to get a hack running! SOMEHOW if by magic they can figure out how to burn Kaliway or Iakos and put it INSIDE the dvd drive. Then they SOMEHOW install it... they will just keep coming back with more question that have been answered.

Can I use PCI Sound? Will my P2 500 MZh work? Can I boot 27 different OSes off a 40 gig HD? Whats EFI? What Boot b0 error? Whats a HPET? Why wont my ATI X300 video card work? Will you send me these files? AHHHHHHHHHH!

Its like when you leave scraps out for a stray, they just stay around annoying you. Then one day you have to put them out of their misery.

P.S. SERIOUSLY I saw someone post asking about a MOBO that the post RIGHT BELOW it stated it was working! I mean... DEAR LORD!

PPS Sorry had to get that off my chest! If this is the wrong place you can move or delete it!

You know, I stay out of those threads for that exact reason. I think these topics and subtopics need a bit of reorganizing, one for those on Apple hardware, for those running them on PCs....

But that idea belongs in a different area.

Sounds like a good idea but it will never work.

I generally try to help the person help themselves, by suggesting the words to use in search that will lead to the info/thread they need.

You would think they would learn or get the idea to check for previous threads from doing this.

The problem is in almost every case someone will then post the exact link to whatever they need. So what have they learned, just ask and don't search.

I think these threads should get a separate subforum. It makes it easier for those people to find out whether their hardware is supported, and it's good for people who are irritated by those threads.

Yeah, you're right. People are lazy and irritating. Now go drink some warm milk and take a few naps to calm yourself down big man.

haha, or a few brews

& lazy people are annoying, but theyll never go away, so you might as well help em.

I have a handy tip for people that are trying to find out the definitions of non-OSx86 specific words like HPET or EFI.

Go to Google and type in:

wikipedia

And search and click the first Wikipedia result that comes up and you should get good results.

Another method for more common words: Go to Google and type:

define:

For some acronyms and words multiple results come up so if you're smart, choose the one that is computer related. For example, don't mistake "Electronic Fuel Injection" for the "Extensible Firmware Interface" which is the EFI people here talk about :P

These methods usually work if the terms aren't OSx86-specific and of course knowing how to use a web browser, a search engine, and most of all, a computer and an OS helps :D

Thanks for a giggle, and welcome to my world, a world full of endless noobs begging for answers, being misled by wannabe gurus giving unsuitable advice. ^-^

Maybe we should make a new thread and move all the "will my hardware work" posts there, because there is a knock-on effect.. New people come here & the first thing they see is 27 "will my hardware work" posts, so they think "I'll do that too" if all these posts ended up in "The Pillory" or "The Ghetto" then maybe they'd think twice?

oops.. almost getting serious there.. :P I'll call it a night

Maybe we should make a new thread and move all the "will my hardware work" posts there, because there is a knock-on effect.. New people come here & the first thing they see is 27 "will my hardware work" posts, so they think "I'll do that too" if all these posts ended up in "The Pillory" or "The Ghetto" then maybe they'd think twice?

No, thats a very good idea. The OSX86 sections should be full of 'Release with a name rev 2 out! 10.5.1!' and 'Difficult hardware component working, heres how!' not 'Plz help not work dvd fix now'.

yea!

what we could do is make a forum devoted just to listing what hardware works and how, and what doesn't! Then, when people want to know if something works, they can go there!

but what to call it.....

any ideas?

EDIT:

I got it!

We could call it the HCF! Hardware Compatibility Forum!!

EDIT 2:

oh wait....

</sarcasm>

jesus frikin christ man.... I can't go in there any more...