I need your help (considering this purchase...)

6 posts in this topic

I went to the online apple store just to start thinking about $ as I am saving up for my first mac.

I was planning on waiting for the intel mac mini to come out and then get that, and then with that

I figured that I must get a apple monitor with it, because whats a mac without a widescreen.

So then I added the 20 in monitor to my cart as well just to see that my total was about $1500..for my mac mini setup.

So then I went back to the homepage only to see that a 17 in iMac with intel core duo was only $1300!

And that has a built in monitor so no need to go buy one.

So now I have changed my plan and am thinking that I will now be saving up for a new iMac.

Seeing as this will be my first mac (though am not completely Unexperienced with them), do you guys think that this is a good buy?

do you guys think that this is a good buy?

Yes, go with the iMac. The Apple displays are incredible displays but also very expensive then. Considering the iMac is a little "beefier" than a Mac mini plus it has the Intel chip now...go with the iMac :D

Wow that is a tough one, I can't help because I'm the same way when it comes to deciding, but I think since the imac is brand new and maybe they will come out with one even faster and better next year, who knows, an old conservative like me would go for one of those awesome monitors unless later you think you may be able to get the one that is even bigger.

Either way you decide it should work out okay, after you decide, don't waste any valuable thought processes worrying that you should have decided different, because it's not worth it.

:graduated:

haha, i know what you mean.

I would upgrade the ram to 1 gig in the iMac no matter what

because I am buying this mac so that my graphic art, web development,

and music recording can grow.

So keeping in mind that this will be a very media heavy system, what do you think?

If you are really serious about the multimedia stuff - then by all means go for the iMac. You will be much happier with it than a Mac Mini.

I have the iMac G5 20" and it is superb. If you can layout the cash go for the MacBook Pro. Almost same "stuff" as the new iMac, but more portable.

If money is your biggest issue then consider some of the other discussions on this board (hint).

Stormy