WD Raptor 150gb vs. Hitachi Deskstar 1000gb

5 posts in this topic

Good Evening, I basically have the following drives and am seeking your opinions:

wd1500perstc0.jpg

Western Digital Raptor 150gb - WD1500ADFD

1184573541ac1.jpg

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 - HDS721010KLA330

Background:

Originally, I was going to have the Hitachi Deskstar serve as my external drive where I backup pretty much all my files, while I would serve the 150gb Raptor as my Primary drive for installing the operating system to boot-off of. (Possibly Dual-Boot). Maybe I can eliminate one and save some money. It seems most are choosing what seems to be more space/capacity vs. minimal speed-difference performance. Maybe I'll just keep two if they're both good?

Purposes:

This is kind of a side note, but in case it plays a significant factor, I primarily look forward to using either of these (or both) drives to have a good/fast/secure scratch disk. I'm constantly busied by assigned graphic design work load and use such applications as Adobe Flash, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, I also undertake a lot of Video Production work in my freelance hours as well. I strongly feel both needs a good scratch disk whether or not I choose to have an external or primary in the end.

*Applications I work with: Adobe Flash, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Suite, Safari, Opera, Firefox, IE (cause I have to), Fetch, CuteFTP, Occasionaly ProTools, I don't play Video Games.

Decision:

But realizing and researching some benchmarks and tests between the two, I'm still having trouble on deciding what the final verdict should be. I don't have that much of a knowledge or background in this, so I'm here seeking your opinions. I am very interested and am looking forward reading your responses.

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

Good Evening, I basically have the following drives and am seeking your opinions:

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

I have my Raptor 78Gb in dual boot mode with Leo and Vista. I know my Vista is faster on the Raptor. Since I have not tested leo on a non raptor I cannot compare. it loads very fast.

but overall you will not see much improvements. even if the hard drive performance shows a difference of 20% there are so many other factors that come in that you hardly see a great performance boost, maybe 5-10%, and only in stuff that uses the hard drive extensively, like searching, indexing...

I would use my small drive as boot and the large for data

I've tested a lot of drives (not willingly, just went through a lot to get things working just right, etc.)...and found that on OSx86 ICH9 the drive in my sig is BY FAR the fastest...I've tried the 150 Gb Raptor, the WD that ends in AAKS, the Seagate 7200.10, and the Maxtor in my sig rocks! It's a drive designed for DVR's the it's uncached random performance is very good in real world.

I have my Raptor 78Gb in dual boot mode with Leo and Vista. I know my Vista is faster on the Raptor. Since I have not tested leo on a non raptor I cannot compare. it loads very fast.

but overall you will not see much improvements. even if the hard drive performance shows a difference of 20% there are so many other factors that come in that you hardly see a great performance boost, maybe 5-10%, and only in stuff that uses the hard drive extensively, like searching, indexing...

I would use my small drive as boot and the large for data

I think I plan to dual-Boot as well, so this is a great response. I plan to Dual-Boot Leopard as well as Vista Enterprise 64-Bit Edition. As much as the benchmarks may show fractional improvements, I do understand your point and not seeing much improvement. I think it's a very great point, since everyone has been saying get a Raptor it's fast, no questions asked, well I have one now, and am a bit reluctant in opening it.

- I can see the 150gb in RAID enough space for two operating systems and their applications but that's going to cost a bit, and take up more drive from in my chassis, which i might not have enough of.

*One thing is that, isn't it much louder than standard hard drives at 7200RPM?

I've tested a lot of drives (not willingly, just went through a lot to get things working just right, etc.)...and found that on OSx86 ICH9 the drive in my sig is BY FAR the fastest...I've tried the 150 Gb Raptor, the WD that ends in AAKS, the Seagate 7200.10, and the Maxtor in my sig rocks! It's a drive designed for DVR's the it's uncached random performance is very good in real world.

Is ICH9 one the black sata ports? or the IDE? I'm a bit confused since I have a very similar motherboard to yours, in fact, I believe we share the same hardware components.

What are DVR's? Have you tried RAID in any of your storage controllers on the boards? Sorry for the questions, I'm understanding hard drives more quite a bit, I appreciate your responses.

Thanks for the replies :yoji: I look forward to more. Happy New Year.