Dell Vostro 1400!

Super Mario

55 posts in this topic

1390 is a Broadcom chip. If it's Intel then you'd be in the same boat as those who can't get wireless going. And BTW we really should refrain from stating that our installation went great when we don't even have speakers, card reader or wireless. What we can say is the installation went through, not great, because great implies a different thing, like my C714TU installation. Everything just works on that unit, safe for sleep.

for those guys complaining abt the wireless....i guess the broadcom 1390 wirelss...u just hv to install the iATKOS without any of those IONetwork kext from 10.4 or the wireless patch......it should work out of the box...... I just wrote this message with my wireless connection to the net (Dell wireless 1390 or what is the name of it......the one in the inspiron6400 :)

• 2 weeks later...

@Hexidecimal: I don't think so (however, I have C2d T7200).

I also find iATKOS installation to be much smoother than Kalyway. I do have some sleep problems but overall my wireless (Dell) works and most other stuff works enough for me to go through my office work.

Do you guys use Darwin bootloader? Do you use EFI bootloader? Any comment on how to go about the sleep issue?

I am trying to get my Vostro 1400 working. I downloaded the iATKOS1.0ir2 dvd, but it fails to work.

The processes I have tried are as follows (ALL FAILING to blinking cursor):

1.) Use gparted to setup FAT32 partition

2.) Boot into DVD, use Disk Utility to erase FAT32 partition to HFS+ Journaled.

3.) Install with Bootloader box checked (Darwin x86 bootloader and EFI stuff)

4.) Boot back to gparted and set bootable flag.

FAILS.

Next attempt

1.) Boot to DVD, use Disk Utility to create partition map (ensuring MBR is selected) to HFS+ Journaled

2.) Install with just Bootloader and EFI checked

3.) Boot to gparted to set bootable flag.

FAILS.

I have tried the above in almost every combination I can think of. I do not have a windows partition setup yet and do not really care to dual boot or not. I bought this Vostro 1400 as a cheap macbook until I start my new job and can get a MBP, I am on the edge of returning it. Someone help? I am SURE someone has the answer.

Vostro 1400

X3100 GFX

2GB DDR2

No webcam or bluetooth

Hi Jstad,

I have a Vostro 1400 too, albeit older than yours. I managed to get iATKOSir2 at the first attempt both with Darwin EFI and Darwin bootloader. On each attempts, I do not have to set the boot flag with gparted afterward at all, have you tried installing and then start right away without setting the boot flag? I am quite sure that installing Darwin bootloader automatically set this correctly for you.

I would recommend that you try to burn a new DVD to minimize the possible problems.

Hi Jstad,

I have a Vostro 1400 too, albeit older than yours. I managed to get iATKOSir2 at the first attempt both with Darwin EFI and Darwin bootloader. On each attempts, I do not have to set the boot flag with gparted afterward at all, have you tried installing and then start right away without setting the boot flag? I am quite sure that installing Darwin bootloader automatically set this correctly for you.

I would recommend that you try to burn a new DVD to minimize the possible problems.

What are the specs of your vostro 1400? Also did you change anything in your BIOS prior to install? You just checked the "Bootloader" option (which selects Darwin x86 and EFI stuff) right? Also how did you go about setting up the HD for install?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
To those who claim that their 8400M GS are working, please download some games and see how they run. On my set although the profile says CI and QE are accelerated, game tests prove otherwise. Just try both Windows and Mac versions to see the difference. Over here Windows runs at better than 60FPS. Mac version at somewhere below 8.

I'm in the same boat as you. System Profiler says CI/QE enabled, but Warcraft runs at 5FPS. Have you found a solution? Also the graphics cause the startup to hang a few mins more.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, how you getting Vostro 1400 working with OSX?

I have a Vostro 1400 [Celeron m540, 1G, Nvidia 8400m, ICH8, BIOS version B00]. In load of dvd, all freeze. Here some pictures:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/333/p5060845kr3.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5512/p5060849ty4.jpg

I try Kallyway and Leo4All 10.5.2 and both freeze. I disable and make many combinations in BIOS and nothing. What can i do?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, i'm new here. I have not really experienced a mac os, until recently. Its alright so far.

First of all, I can confirm iatkos 2.0 does work with the vostro 1400. I'm running leopard on mine right now!

However, I can't get the sound to work.

What works:

-display [8400 gs]

-wifi [dell wifi]

-mouse/keyboard

What doesnt:

-sound

-restart

I've tried so many different ways to try and get the audio to work, but it just won't. At one point, i was able to get audio from one earphone jack, but thats about it. Any fixes on this? If sound would work, it would be perfect....

Did you test Ethernet on iAtkos 2.0? It has been quite a sore that ethernet doesn't work (LAN).

Also, I can confirm that sound only works for the headphone jack.

Restart does NOT work.

Bluetooth is quite shaky.

The good news is webcam is working decently well. No where close to other systems but it is usable for non-multimedia non-gaming tasks (think developers)

hello, i need help for my xps 1330. leo4all v3 installed, sound=works, graphik=works, LAN / W-Lan and Bluetooth (Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse 5000) doesen´t work. Its a Intel Mini PCI Card for W-Lan (4965). No Shutdown and No Reboot :)

Thanx for Help,

macfantastic