ebios errors on legacy ide

arshmenarnar

3 posts in this topic

by now i have figured out through countless thousands of os x installs on pc hardware that if i haven't encountered it, surely someone else out there has. heres my sceanario. downloaded kalyway (zip, not iso) unzipped, burned, put into my os x server computer, pressed any key to boot from cd, installer launched, everything went smoothly, not a hitch, all my hardware worked out of the very first boot no extra kexts (msi 945p neo 3, highly recommend this board due to 4gb ram celing vs 2)this msi motherboard based computer that everything was seamless on has one sata hard drive and the dvd drive is on pataturned around and stuck the disc into a dell e310 which is gma, ich6 and known to work flawlessly with osx minus the sigmatel, and the cd just continually generates sector 64 error messages until it finally restarts or the screen goes blank. that computer is using and ide hard disk with an external usb dvdrw. same thing happens on my toshiba a45 laptop, which has both devices on enhanced ide. i know that this has NOTHING TO DO WITH MY DISC, write speed etc, this is a pata sata issue and i was hoping someone out there could tell me how to just boot that install baby. im having the same problem in literally two machines at the same time. tried -legacy at boot, -s -v, i bet this is something really damn simple, and whoever answers this first will probably help a lot of other people. thanksoh yeh also if i put an ide hd in the tower that i have the successful install of leopard, unplug the sata drive i thought i could do an install and move the hd to another computer but thats not working either. same rror messages occur on the working computer then.

if this happens to you for whatever reason, all you gotta do is get your os x install disc on an external usb or firewire or flash drive, make sure you can select it as a startup disk, and then go into the drive, click the installer and it should restart on that drive thus ending all the confusing errors. otherwise, it will be just continually looping in verbose mode.