[How To] Editing com.apple.boot.plist

12 posts in this topic

This is just a small tip.

When editing the com.apple.boot.plist, I noticed that all the changes that I had made after the original strings were not being applied. So after several different attempts, I copy-pasted the original strings, and modified their content. This seemed to have worked perfectly. Now I am to have quiet boot, any supported resolution and so forth. I still don't know why this works and me typing it doesn't. It sounds weird, but maybe it'll help someone out.

Peace

The Killer Loop

This is just a small tip.

When editing the com.apple.boot.plist, I noticed that all the changes that I had made after the original strings were not being applied. So after several different attempts, I copy-pasted the original strings, and modified their content. This seemed to have worked perfectly. Now I am to have quiet boot, any supported resolution and so forth. I still don't know why this works and me typing it doesn't. It sounds weird, but maybe it'll help someone out.

Peace

The Killer Loop

TIP 2:

Install XCode 2.2 from apple development.

next time you double click on a Plist file, it will open up in a new editor that makes it easy to edit their values =)

sorry for the dumb question, but as a complete noob everytime I try to make any modifications on this file I can`t save them. Of course is due to lack of permissions, but how can I grant access to it in TEXTEDIT or something like.

I`ve installed Xcode and it is opening directly on TEXTEDIT.

Thanks.

That file has permissions that only root user can modify/delete but you can act as root with the sudo su command in Terminal, another aproach is to copy the file to the Desktop modify it an the copy back, when is copied back the system ask for admin password because the rights/permissions of the origianl file.

• 2 weeks later...

have any of you heard of the best command line/X-Windows text editor in the world? :dev:

Of course I'm talking about emacs! Or am I the only UNIX user here? :rolleyes:

And what's better than using emacs on a Mac? :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...

Mac OS X 10.4.4 (Intel) has an outlining program that opens XML files in a very nice click-the-triangle outline method some of us may find familiar in viewing directory information in list mode. I have not discovered how to edit, add or delete items using this, but it does making READING plist files a lot easier, and the information lots more organized.

Is there a way to edit the boot.plist file on an installer DVD to ALWAYS, regardless of partition contents, proceed to install, instead of switching tracks and booting what it thinks is a good OS X partition? This behavior is extremely frustrating...

...especially since my keyboard is ignored at boot time by the installer for 10.4.4 (patched DVD). It doesn't listen to USB keyboards, and I have no alternative.