Netscape dead

A Nonny Moose

8 posts in this topic

An historic moment is passing as the first browser to give Internet Explorer a run for its money (and led to the first antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft) is no longer going to be developed.

You can still download older versions of Netscape through here but they will no longer be supported by AOL.

For a more biased account of Netscape's death, head over to Fake Steve Ballmer

Netscape Navigator was a popular browser back in 2000 and 2001 until Firefox gained popularity. Netscape was a definite improvement over IE for me but its not too sad that its no longer being developed, considering that we have Firefox, Opera, and other good browsers.

R.I.P Netscape

:(

pcwiz

The first time i ever used a computer, that was 1996, Netscape was king. I have fond memories of the

magical world of the internet that netscape laid before my eyes. This death brings on a lot of nostalgia.

I could have never dreamed that in the following 11 years i would actually build 6 AMD computers and

arrive at a point where i'm running Mac OS X on one of them.

Yet another one of Microsoft's evil business monopoly casualties, I guess the EU stepped in 10 years to late.

The EU shouldn't have stepped in at all. Monopolies like MS and (the old) AT&T aren't 'evil', they're the result of a successful company.

XM and Sirius radio are merging, oh noez an evil monopoly! We better sue them, huh! I hate low prices and great coverage on my satellite radio.

The EU shouldn't have stepped in at all. Monopolies like MS and (the old) AT&T aren't 'evil', they're the result of a successful company.

XM and Sirius radio are merging, oh noez an evil monopoly! We better sue them, huh! I hate low prices and great coverage on my satellite radio.

Sure they are, the fact that they get fined by the EU shows just how successful they are, at doing bad business. Even the Clinton administration had them split up and Bill Gate worries because of their actions, people are still paying to the price today. Apple only just escaped being crushes like the rest only to do a deal which pretty much saved them.