black screen with cursor after reboot

nicolasa

18 posts in this topic

hello,

after i installed ToH Mac OS X/x86 Leopard my computer rebooted. now there is only a black screen with a white cursor in the left corner. Mac OS X is the only os i have on my harddisk, only one partition. it seems like a bootloader is missing...

has someone the same problem? is it possible to boot the installed mac os x with the installation dvd?

greetings

nicolasa

• 1 month later...
hello,after i installed ToH Mac OS X/x86 Leopard my computer rebooted. now there is only a black screen with a white cursor in the left corner. Mac OS X is the only os i have on my harddisk, only one partition. it seems like a bootloader is missing...has someone the same problem? is it possible to boot the installed mac os x with the installation dvd?greetingsnicolasa
I have the same problem. I just leave the disc in the cd and Leopard boots up. Don't press any keys, just let it boot with the cd. After it boots though I can't get my network card to be recognized. I've tried three different cards.I have the same problem. I just leave the disc in the cd and Leopard boots up. Don't press any keys, just let it boot with the cd. After it boots though I can't get my network card to be recognized. I've tried three different cards.

I went through the same {censored} and freaked out. I found people with similar problems in this forum, if you do a quick search im sure you can find the thread.

so the solution that worked for me?

Well there were 2 parts, i run a Intel Core Duo and (i think) my setup cant do dual processors (im using a dell desktop). I had to run the cpus=1 flag at boot.

Also, if you have a partition name with spaces, remove those spaces. so in my case i had to change "Mac HD" to "MacHD".

That did it. Hope it helps.

I went through the same {censored} and freaked out. I found people with similar problems in this forum, if you do a quick search im sure you can find the thread.

so the solution that worked for me?

Well there were 2 parts, i run a Intel Core Duo and (i think) my setup cant do dual processors (im using a dell desktop). I had to run the cpus=1 flag at boot.

Also, if you have a partition name with spaces, remove those spaces. so in my case i had to change "Mac HD" to "MacHD".

That did it. Hope it helps.

having spaces in the partition name seems to be a common issue ;)

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So, do the same thing. :) You can't boot with no bootloader installed!

Then reinstall Chameleon 2.0 but this time do it right :-)

There's a very nice manual install guide available at i h a c k i n t o s h . c o m [fixed, I was censored]

Download the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 binary package and follow that guide instead of using the installer.

So, do the same thing. :) You can't boot with no bootloader installed!

Then reinstall Chameleon 2.0 but this time do it right :-)

There's a very nice manual install guide available at insanelymac.com.

Download the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 binary package and follow that guide instead of using the installer.

Erm, no, none of that helped but I found a solution (not a very good one though).

I downloaded all Leopard updates from 10.5.2 to 10.5.8 and extracted each one.

I found that 10.5.3 through 10.5.8 had nvidia drivers shipped - so looks like every release since 10.5.3 had updates made to the graphics drivers.

However, those updates are not installed automatically!

When I manually extracted 10.5.8 and replaced my existing /System/Library/Extensions/NV* and GeForce* - I got a black screen with a white mouse cursor.

I went back and tried the Nvidia drivers from all the updates and the only driver that worked was the one from 10.5.3. So while I had 10.5.8 installed, my nvidia drivers were still 10.5.3, so when I upgraded them, that's when the problem started.

So the solution is to install the Nvidia drivers from 10.5.3 which unfortunately are buggy with Photoshop CS4 (distortion when going to full screen).

Anyone has a better solution? :(

What injection method are you using?

Unless I extract the driver from 10.5.3, I get a black screen with the following:

EFI strings, ATY_init, NVenabler (actually both monitors off with this one), NVdarwin, nvkush, nvinject

8800 GTS should work with newer drivers as well.

Have you tried it? -- Can you check if these drivers work for you? (extracted drivers from 10.5.8) < h t t p : / / i t s t a r . c o . u k / nvidia_10.5.8.tar.bz2

Strangely, I was able to run the installer and update to 10.5.8 no problems, but if I actually extract the drivers from the installer and replace my existing ones, then I got the black screen with white cursor (yes, I did run disk utility to fix permissions and ran chmod/chown and remove extensions.mkext and ran update_dyld_shared_cache after doing this, if I don't do this I get 1024x768 no CI/QE as hackintosh can't load the kexts).

What's the device ID of your card? (System Profiler/Graphics)

I'm currently using the drivers from 10.5.3 with netkas ATY_Init.kext and this is what I see in system profiler:

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512:
Chipset Model:	NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Type:	Display
Bus:	PCIe
PCIe Lane Width:	x16
VRAM (Total):	512 MB
Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID:	0x0600
Revision ID:	0x00a2
ROM Revision:	netkas.org
Displays:
DELL 2408WFP:
 Resolution:	1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
 Depth:	32-Bit Color
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
 Rotation:	Supported
DELL E248WFP:
 Resolution:	1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
 Depth:	32-Bit Color
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
 Rotation:	Supported

I'm using the latest available Nvidia drivers for Leopard, downloaded from Nvidia.com

I have to change the Mac model identifier inside the installer package so it will run and install the drivers on my hackintosh. If you're spoofing a MacPro3,1 or 4,1 the installer will run as is.

My 9800 GTX+ is supported by the drivers so I only need an injector for it to work.

As you know by now, if the card is not supported by the drivers themselves, all you need to do is insert its device ID in the appropriate plists.

Keep in mind your choices are limited because you're running 10.5.3.

I did a search for your device ID (0x0600) and there is lots of information available for your particular card.

I'm using the latest available Nvidia drivers for Leopard, downloaded from Nvidia.com

I have to change the Mac model identifier inside the installer package so it will run and install the drivers on my hackintosh. If you're spoofing a MacPro3,1 or 4,1 the installer will run as is.

How did you download the drivers? -- When I choose my card or the 9800 GTX, it doesn't give me an option to download OSX drivers and when I choose the Geforce 200 series it tells me this option is only available on Windows (wtf?).

My 9800 GTX+ is supported by the drivers so I only need an injector for it to work.

As you know by now, if the card is not supported by the drivers themselves, all you need to do is insert its device ID in the appropriate plists.

My device ID appears in the drivers from 10.5.8 but the apple updater does not install those. If I install them manually, I just get a black screen with a white mouse cursor.

Keep in mind your choices are limited because you're running 10.5.3.

I did a search for your device ID (0x0600) and there is lots of information available for your particular card.

I'm running 10.5.8 and the installer simply does not install the newer Nvidia drivers. - If I extract 10.5.8 with xar/gzip/cpio and manually replace my drivers with those from 10.5.8, I get a black screen with a white mouse cursor on it.

If I then extract 10.5.3 with xar/gzip/cpio and replace my nvidia drivers manually from there, I get a usable desktop again.

Do these drivers actually work for you? < h t t p :// i t s t a r . c o . u k /nvidia_10.5.8.tar.bz2

You can download the driver installer from nvidia if you pick Geforce 285. Then you need to modify a script inside the package to match the mac model you are spoofing (model identifier in System Profiler/hardware).

The installer is really not just for the 285, it updates the drivers for all the other supported cards too.

I don't want to install other drivers at this time since I can already run the most recent ones with no problems.

I was running the 10.5.8 drivers before and they were working fine too.