Purchasing a system, Looking for some insight.

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I was wondering if I could have some insight. I'm looking at getting an inexpensive hackintosh around $200, since I just need something to hold me over til I can save up to buy a real mac. I've found a refurbished Compaq Presario SR5010NX through tigerdirect for $199. I was just wondering how these specs would work with Leopard. From searching, it appears the only things that would require patches are the LAN and the Audio, but according to my findings, it appears it can be done and should work. I was just looking for some insight and reassurance.

Motherboard: ECS 945GCT-HM

Processor: Celeron D 360 @ 3.46 GHz

Chipset: Intel 945GC

Video: Intel GMA 950

Audio: Realtek ALC888

LAN: Realtek RTL8201E

Northbridge: Intel 945GC

Southbridge: Intel ICH7

Full specs here

Item found here

Also, I don't know much about using EFI, would I have any problems with it on this system?

Thanks for any help,

• 1 month later...

I am typing this reply from that very computer on Leo 10.5.1. I'm still sorting out some sound drivers and boot issues [ I get a b0 error no matter what I do . . .]. But overall, It works okie dokie!I am typing this reply from that very computer on Leo 10.5.1. I'm still sorting out some sound drivers and boot issues [ I get a b0 error no matter what I do . . .]. But overall, It works okie dokie!

• 3 years later...
hehe, srry for a non-constructive reply, but you could use the edit feature still, to you know :), not stutter complete sentences :D

So I am trying to install 10.5 on a SR5010NX aswell. I have tried many different distributions with no luck. I tried putting 10.6 on it but it doesnt boot. If anyone has gotten 10.6 on the SR5010NX please either PM me or reply to this thread. Or if you have used a specific distro of Mac OS X 10.5 then let me know how you did it, what you checked off in Customize etc, or let everyone know on here with the SR5010NX computer so they have success too. Thanks in advance.

Yeah I followed that guide but it didnt work for me, I tried numerous different combinations of kexts in the "Customize" menu aswell, so if anyone has an alternative method to that guide, please provide it here if you can. In the meantime I will keep trying. Thanks for the link anyways.