Acer Extensa 5220 - LOW price´n NICE

comatron

173 posts in this topic

Hello,

may I ask you guys to send a picture about "successful battery" gui?

Can I see battery energy level in this gui or something similar?

I do not know where to find it and which kext to use.

comatron:

I have taken your acer5220.zip - does which of the kext inside solve the battery issue?

After turnoff of my laptop I need to push the power button a bit longer since it is still on.

Does any kext solve this error?

Thanks and regards,

bozon42

tried for a few hours, each time i get this message : Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

Maybe you can post it somewhere and make a link ? Many thanks !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by the way installing was a breeze for the acer 5220 i did the following :

connect external monitor

install kalyway with efi and vanilla (also format drive with efi)

run virginizer to get rid of the extras in kalyway

install the kalyway 10.5.2 upgrade

install the new kernel from kalyway

install the apple graphics update from the apple website

install azalia driver for the sound

done ! everything works, apple updates works, the only thing missing is the battery indicator.

did not check the wired nic and the cardreader yet.

thanks to everyone here who made it possible to have such a install on a 399 laptop !

Everything is working just fine for me except the battery indicator. But I'm using Vanilla Kernel without PowerSource so this will be the problem. Shutdown, Reboot and sleep mode do work without problems, too. Could anybody do me a favor and reupload the package with the AplleACPIPowerSource.kext in it so I can install it on my machine and fix the battery indicator failure. Sound, Mic, Firewire, WLAN works.

What doesn't work so far:

- Battery indicator (working on it)

- CardReader

- Infrared

- LAN

Is it somehow possible to get those components running, too (except LAN cause Broadcom chip I'm using is not fixed yet)?

Thx for your help.

Btw. since yesterday I can't download anything from this board anymore although I'm logged in, I get the same error message as germike. I also can't edit my profile... very strange... maybe it's a server problem?

Greetings,

MacOSLeopard

got the battery indicator working under 10.5.2 with new kernel :

- install the appleacpi.. kext from the acer5220.zip

- follow this : http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t80425.html

just copy the .bundle file to the system/systemconfig location. For me i had to first delete the exsisting one and then copy the new one. OSX did not let me replace the file.

After a reboot you will have the battery indicator + the power options.

I have the indicator displaying the remaining time, will see if its accurate..

Thx for the quick reply. I'm still using Kalyway 10.5.1 but will update in a minute (also the Kalyway Kernel to 9.2).

I've already installed the patch from the thread you posted the link to but it didn't work for me cause of the Vanilla Kernel and the missing AppleACIPowerSource.kext .

But I'll report if it works after the update. Getting to run infrared would also be good, the card reader isn't that much of importance cause I also have an external one which works without any problems and supports more types of cards :( . I'll try using the Broadcom driver provided somewhere in this forum to get LAN working but I don't really need that, too. WLAN is just fine and perfectly fits my needs. Would just be good to have LAN available.

Once again thx for your help.

Greetings

Update worked fine, patching the kernel to the new version also but I still can't see the battery indicator, this is just annoying :X. I've followed the instructions of the other thread and put the file into the System/Systemconfig folder... still nothing after reboot. Need help. Do you use another kernel than me? I don't think so. And I still don't have this PowerSource which is needed to get the battery working. If you have the PowerSource.kext would you be so kind to upload it on an external server (because attachment don't seem to work atm) and post the link. Would be a big help. Thx ;) .

I do not have the powersource.kext, i installed the appleacpiplatform.kext and then the powermanagement.bundle. That gave me the battery indicator.

The appleacpiplatform is in this zip : Click HERE for the acer5220.zip.

the powermanagement.bundle is : HERE

Happy to help !

Wow thank you so much, now it works for me, too, but I additionally installed the PowerSource from another thread in this forum and did what you said in your last post. Great, now I also have a battery indicator in the Finder-Bar which shows the remaining time. I'll see if it's accurate. Thx again for your help. If you can find an appropriate LAN driver for the Broadcom card, just tell us :P . I'm very surprised what this cheap notebook can do, simply loving it.

I do not have the powersource.kext, i installed the appleacpiplatform.kext and then the powermanagement.bundle. That gave me the battery indicator.The appleacpiplatform is in this zip : Click HERE for the acer5220.zip.the powermanagement.bundle is : HEREHappy to help !
Hello, hello,both are used and battery indicator is seen.Now next step is to find a solution for changing the brightness of the LCD.Does anybody how a hint how to do this?Thanks for the help!!bozon42
Wow thank you so much, now it works for me, too, but I additionally installed the PowerSource from another thread in this forum and did what you said in your last post. Great, now I also have a battery indicator in the Finder-Bar which shows the remaining time. I'll see if it's accurate. Thx again for your help. If you can find an appropriate LAN driver for the Broadcom card, just tell us :( . I'm very surprised what this cheap notebook can do, simply loving it.
Hello: see post 45 in this thread for temporary solution: (use usb-eth adapter.)Regards,bozon42

Well the battery indicator is seen but I still have a problem with it. It simply doesn't stop calculating and the indicator stays at 0% all the time. This really isn't much of a progress compared to no battery indicator. Any ideas? I have the original accumulator which came with my Extensa 5220.

To LAN: It's not that important at the moment so I'll wait till an appropriate solution for the internal chips is released. Currently I'm just using WLAN to connect. I would appreciate an LCD-solution, too but also some drivers for infrared (IRdA) and the internal card reader.

Thx again for your help.

Greetings,

MacOSLeopard

Well the battery indicator is seen but I still have a problem with it. It simply doesn't stop calculating and the indicator stays at 0% all the time. This really isn't much of a progress compared to no battery indicator. Any ideas? I have the original accumulator which came with my Extensa 5220.

with mine its fine, maybe it is because you have the PowerSource installed also. Here i have just the acpi..kext and the powermanagement.bundle. It works 100%. Try to remove the PowerSource module that you have "extra" installed.

The lcd brightness you can still adjust with the Fn key + the arrow left and right keys on the acer 5220. Works.

Also : right click on the battery icon and select show>time.

with mine its fine, maybe it is because you have the PowerSource installed also. Here i have just the acpi..kext and the powermanagement.bundle. It works 100%. Try to remove the PowerSource module that you have "extra" installed.

The lcd brightness you can still adjust with the Fn key + the arrow left and right keys on the acer 5220. Works.

Also : right click on the battery icon and select show>time.

germike:

Hello,

I will try to adjust the brightness.

BTW the time for battery does not work. Only the percentage.

Any hint? Do I plug-off the power cable?

Regards,

bozon42

Thx for the advice, thought about that solution, too. There was so much {censored} in my System folder as I've tried many different things to get the battery indicator working before I've tested your solution. I completely uninstalled Leopard and reinstalled it to apply all patches in the right order an now everything is just fine. Percentage, time indicator and charging symbol is working properly. Once again thx for your help. Is there anybody who got the card reader running or the infrared port? There must somehow be a solution. I think I've read a thread in this forum some time ago concerning card readers but I'm not sure if the one for Acer Extensa 5220 is included. I don't want to test a lot anymore as I'm pleased with my Leo atm cause it does everything I need :-). Would just be cool to get all components working.

Greetings,

MacOSLeopard

Well I had to pay around 450 Euro for it, too, but it's still very cheap compared to other notebooks with a similar configuration. Btw. what about PCMCIA drivers? I've tried some PCMCIA cards with MacOS Kalyway 10.5.2 but they're simply not recognized. It seems like these slots aren't active. Any suggestions how to fix that?

Glad you got it working, good that reinstalling leopard does not take that long on the 5220.

I live in Germany where the acer 5220 is at the moment 379 exclusive shipping that's the edition without windows. I bought mine a month ago for 399 inclusive shipping. The 379 price is at the (in germany well known store) www.alternate.de. Prices for the 5220 tend to fluctuate between 379 and 419.

I noticed one weird thing with my current install : When leopard comes out of sleep the number 7 is typing continuously, i have to hit escape to stop it. Also i have to switch on airport manually when coming out of sleep mode. Other than that it's fine. Nic-cardreader-infrared remain without function. I have no pcmcia cards to check that function.

Lets not forget we have a 15,4 inchscreen notebook on which we can run everyting (all windows, linux, osx) for next to nothing ! An apple laptop with 15,4inch is 1899 euro's....

For bozon : rightclick on the battery indictator > select show > time, if that does not work i recomment a clean install then it should work. And what do you mean with the power cable ?

I've bougth one ex5220 in Spain for 398€.

I installed Kalyway 10.5.1, applied acpi, sound and video patches in first post and everythings works except:

• pcmcia: seems to be off
  • lan
  • wlan: atheros. Is there something like gnu's lspci? I'm going to buy a minipci wlan, at least to upgrade to 10.5.2
  • touchpad: doesn't touch :P. I installed ps2nub. It doesn't hurt, but didn't works.
  • battery meter
  • vga

I didn't try to halt the system before applying the acpi patch. After doing it, I have to keep pressed the power button in order to halt the system. After applying the battery patch, the screen goes black and I have to do the same procedure. Sleep and reboot works ok.

Things untested:

• card reader
  • xpresscard
  • infrared
  • s-video

Anyway, Vista was sooooooo slow that I'm going to keep with OS X

PCMCIA card slot works with driver in the drivers section. Express Card slot works because it is a 1x PCIe / USB 2.0 Slot. IR doesn't work nor does 5 in 1 card reader *It is connected thru the PCMCIA slot and requires special drivers even after PCMCIA works*.

Sound SORTA works. Built in Mic works, Mic Plug in works but distorts and hums at loud volumes, built in speakers work, Headphones work but when switching between souces somtimes the volume is way too low and requires a reboot.

So there you all have it. I am thinking of putting a new update pack up.

Also sometimes the time on the battery will be incorrect. If you boot when it is on battery *not plugged in* then the time will be correct. If you boot off AC power, time will read 3x over the REAL time left / charge time. I recommend just using percent and know that the battery lasts between 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours.

Well I had to pay around 450 Euro without an operating system but with 1GB RAM instead of 512MB. Everything is running just fine with Windows XP and Mac OS Leopard. I was really surprised by the performance of this cheap notebook. I'm really satisfied with it. If you aren't a gamer you'll just love it. Running Leopard on it is a pleasure compared to other systems which cause a lot of trouble. The only bad thing is: You need an external display to install Leopard but maybe someone could inject the X3100GFX fix into the Kalyway DVD so it will be loaded at the beginning to be able to install without an external display.

@parsimonias: Well maybe you got a different WLAN-Chip if it doesn't work for you. Just try the included driver of the Kalyway image. I don't have an Atheros chipset. Mine is a Realtek. LAN is broadcom. To the touchpad: Just go into system preferences then choose keyboard and mouse. There you can check touchpad dragging and and touching ;-). So it works.

@Hyper X: Which version of Kalyway are you running the PCMCIA drivers on? I'm using Kalyway 10.5.2 with all Mac Updates and newest Kernel 9.2 Vanilla.

Things that work for me:

WLAN

Touchpad (Dragging and touching)

USB

My Canon printer (just had to install Mac drivers for it :-) )

Firewire

Sound (in and output)

Battery indicator with remaining time and percentage as well as showing the charging symbol if adapter is plugged in

Things that don't work yet:

Infrared (IRdA)

Internal CardReader

LAN

PCMCIA slots

Sleep mode sucks (if my Hard disk drive goes to sleep I can't wake it up so I deactivated Sleep mode, now everything is fine, also turning the computer off without having to push the power button till it turns completely off).

I'm really happy with my Extensa, it's almost compatible with everything. The Kalyway image doesn't even start on my big machine so we can be very happy with our Extensa to cause so few problems.

Btw. here is the right order of reinstalling Leopard and getting everything to work properly:

1) Install Kalyway 10.5.1

2) Install the GFX fix for getting internal display to work

3) Install the sound patch included in the Acer5220 zip file in this thread

4) Install the Kalyway 10.5.2 update - Reboot - Automatical reboot

5) Install the Kalyway kernel update to 9.2

6) Apply all other Apple updates (Quick time, graphics update and so on)

7) Install the ACPI file and after that the power management file as explained a few posts above by germike

8) Have fun :-)

Greetings,

MacOSLeopard

I used Iatkos since you don't need an external monitor to install. The did PC_EFI on a USB Key. I then replaced SMBIOS, Apple APCI PLatform, and the Power Bundle. I now have Sleep, Shutdown, and Restart ;)

I used Iatkos since you don't need an external monitor to install. The did PC_EFI on a USB Key. I then replaced SMBIOS, Apple APCI PLatform, and the Power Bundle. I now have Sleep, Shutdown, and Restart ;)

Ah ok. But the PCMCIA patch should work with Kalyway, too. Could you please be so kind and upload it here cause searching for the right driver in the forum woul be a lot of work and additionally I don't exactly know which PCMCIA chip I have. Everest doesn't tell me :-X. It's just PCMCIA for the program.

Btw. here is the right order of reinstalling Leopard and getting everything to work properly:

1) Install Kalyway 10.5.1

2) Install the GFX fix for getting internal display to work

3) Install the sound patch included in the Acer5220 zip file in this thread

4) Install the Kalyway 10.5.2 update - Reboot - Automatical reboot

5) Install the Kalyway kernel update to 9.2

6) Apply all other Apple updates (Quick time, graphics update and so on)

7) Install the ACPI file and after that the power management file as explained a few posts above by germike

8) Have fun :-)

Greetings,

MacOSLeopard

Can i make a suggestion here : do not install step 2. Instead :

1)install kalyway 10.5.1

2)Install 10.5.2 update

3)install the apple graphics update from the apple website.

4) rest as above.

In this way you get the apple x3100 graphics support, no need to patch. You have to do the first 3 steps with an external monitor connected to the vga port of the acer.

>>>EDIT<<< : I have made a blog about the acer 5220, first entry how to install. You can find the blog under my user or just click HERE