MacOS X 10.4.5 MUST be out...

27 posts in this topic

I just visited the Apple Dev site and found that (finally!) a fairly recent build of J2SE 5.0 is available. Like most folks around here, I've had a few java-related problems that I'd like to solve. This looked like the ticket. I downloaded it, and this little ditty popped up during my attempt at installtion:

Alert

This update requires Mac OS X 10.4.5 (Intel) or later.

Question. Why put up an important file like this (and offer it for each architecture (Intel & PPC) and then not have an OS to install it on??? Inquiring minds want to know. BTW, the java build is dated today (1/25/2006) so perhaps our Dev friends could check around to see where 10.4.5 is located?

Picture_1.png

have you tried editing the plists for your systemversion to 10.4.5 and seeing if it installs correctly?

have you tried editing the plists for your systemversion to 10.4.5 and seeing if it installs correctly?

I edited /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist and changed the ProductVersion string to 10.4.5.

The result:

Hackintosh:/Library/Preferences root# java -version

java version "1.5.0_06"

Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-103)

Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-57, mixed mode, sharing)

Worked like a champ!

great....any chance you could post the updated java dmg to rapidshare.de? :blink:

I didn't update the .dmg yet - the installcheck routine is a perl script inside a package. I've not messed with re-packaging apps much, but I do have pacifist and will give it a shot.

Does the system need to be rebooted after making the change? I've changed mine, but it appears I can't install it. (J2SE 5.0 R3)

Edited by mpeters13

before i embark on this upgrade, how have you folks with this installed been finding it?

the semester is back in full force, so I need to be careful with what upgrades/changes I make to this system, because I definitely can't afford a reinstall until May.

Hey nixblicker,

login into Developers section: so I guess I need a valid login and pw for this, right?

(Don't have that)

Just ignore my last reply... I signed up for a free account in the mean time and I'm currently downloading it :)

Some results:

I already had ProductVersion "10.4.4" and ProductBuildversion "8G1165" in my SystemVersion.plist (to mess with some other applications) and I didn't get the message that 10.4.5 was needed during install of j2se50release4dp5_i386

Apparently a reboot is not required: before the update a "java -version" was listing version 1.4.x and now it says "1.5.0_06-57, mixed mode, sharing" :)

I already tested some Java online games in Opera and at first look it works fine...