Need advice in choosing parts for new hackintosh

Daryll

6 posts in this topic

I'm going to order parts in 1-2 days, so if you can recommend Christmas deals - go ahead

My requirements:

• My budget is around 1000$ (not counting display, windows, leopard, etc)
  • Processor & motherboard - I already have E6750, since I want to OC it, I need motherboard with easy over clocking and probably with support for new processors (p35 chipset) and of course OSx86
  • I need around 500G HDD, would you recommend 2 x 250G or 1 x 500G? Since I plan to install both Leopard and Windows I have thought it can be easier to have 2 separate hard discs..
  • Video card - I have 24" display and would like to play games in Windows with high settings (Witcher, crysis). I would have bought 8800GT - but they are not supported (or should I wait till 10.5.2?), what do you say about this deal? Or maybe Radeon - too bad 3870s aren't supported
  • RAM - I need from 2 to 4 GB, probably will buy something from christmas deals (which is better 2 x 2G or 4 x 1G)
  • DVD - any DVD-RW DL
  • Case & power supply - enough space for components, good airflow - currently looking at Antec P182 (89.99), Antec 900 (79.99 - too bad, it's ugly), COOLER MASTER RC-690 (34.99)
  • And I absolutely need wireless adapter, since I can't get LAN cable

thanks in advance...

I'm going to order parts in 1-2 days, so if you can recommend Christmas deals - go ahead

My requirements:

• My budget is around 1000$ (not counting display, windows, leopard, etc)
  • Processor & motherboard - I already have E6750, since I want to OC it, I need motherboard with easy over clocking and probably with support for new processors (p35 chipset) and of course OSx86
  • I need around 500G HDD, would you recommend 2 x 250G or 1 x 500G? Since I plan to install both Leopard and Windows I have thought it can be easier to have 2 separate hard discs..
  • Video card - I have 24" display and would like to play games in Windows with high settings (Witcher, crysis). I would have bought 8800GT - but they are not supported (or should I wait till 10.5.2?), what do you say about this deal? Or maybe Radeon - too bad 3870s aren't supported
  • RAM - I need from 2 to 4 GB, probably will buy something from christmas deals (which is better 2 x 2G or 4 x 1G)
  • DVD - any DVD-RW DL
  • Case & power supply - enough space for components, good airflow - currently looking at Antec P182 (89.99), Antec 900 (79.99 - too bad, it's ugly), COOLER MASTER RC-690 (34.99)
  • And I absolutely need wireless adapter, since I can't get LAN cable

thanks in advance...

GA P35-DS3P is great for overclocking. plus, its cheap, and supports 45nm cpus (not that it matters). patch for audio, everything else is great. I wrote a full install guide (see my signature) for it, including dual boot (or it will in about 1 day).

1 Hard drive is fine if you use i_am...me's method of dual booting (described in my guide). Basically, GUID format + efi.

4*1 GB is cheaper, (i think the P35-DS3P may not be compatible with 2GB chips) and maybe faster. Corsair XMS2 is good and cheap

Antec Sonata III is good, lots of room, $100 includes a good 500W power supply, pretty quiet too. room for another fan.

after reading reviews, i got this: "Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model AD-7170S-0B" for my DVD drive. $30, and good.

I don't know about the video cards ... I got a 7600 GT to hold me over until there is compatibility.

Get a good aftermarket CPU cooler- it is necessary for large overclocking. Supposedly Zalman is good.

I don't know about the gfx card. I have the mid-range 8800GTS 320 and an ATi HD2900pro flashed up to XT. As spiffy as the GTS is, the 2900 leaves it choking on clouds of purple tinted dust. (That, and the fact that WHEN I bought it, it cost me something like 200euros.... which makes it a fair sight cheaper, as well.)

It has full support in OSX (for me, and several others. there's a thread.), offers great gaming in Windows and is relatively affordable.

Long story short, my take is: Find an HD2900pro you know is flashable up to XT. (I went with GeCUBE. Sapphire is for sure, etc...)

On cooling: I can attest to Zalman's prowess in cooling. I've got a 9700 on two separate rigs and couldn't be happier! (As long as we're talking strictly air-cooled. Once you introduce liquids into the mix, things start to change, but I digress...)

based on what I read just now, the Nvidia 8800 GT is fully supported in 10.5.2 (and in 10.5.1 using some files from the 10.5.2 beta).

This card is the best card (by far) that you can get for the money. it is $250 (for the 512MB version) and really fast. better than the 8800 GTS, and almost as good as the GTX. It is better than all ATI cards currently.

I would recommend that gfx card by far.

I'm planning to order today/tomorrow following computer parts for my new hackintosh:

CPU: I already have Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P Rev 2.0 $152.99

GPU: XFX PVT88GYDF4 GeForce 8800GTS 512MB 256-bit $319.99 after rebate

Memory: Patriot Extreme Performance 800MHz 4-4-4-12 GB (2 x 1GB) $73 great deal after rebate

HDD: Western Digital 500GB SATA $99.99

DVDRW: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA $34.99

PSU: Antec TP3-650 ATX12V 650W $44.99 after rebate & combo deal

Case: Antec P182 $89.99 after rebate

Total: $815.94 w/o the processor

Does anyone have any recommendations? Which Wi-Fi adapter with minimum fuss you'd recommend?