Installing Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

caladan1810

6 posts in this topic

For those who are wanting to install Leopard but get don't quite meet the Apple system specifications. There is a way to install on a PPC Lower than 867MHz as I have done here, the experience is not what I would call terrible, it is in fact quite smooth. You don't need to hack the installer at all. Simply follow these steps below:

1. Reboot Mac and boot into Open Frirmware hold down the cmd+option+o+f

2. Once you're in the Open Firmware type the following, beware the commands are CaSe Sensitive. At the end of each command press the enter key. You should have a response of [ok] after each command. On the second line of commands make sure you leave a space on either side of the of the first " . Once you have entered these commands successfully you will need to reboot. The last command will continue the boot process hold the C key to re-boot from CD/DVD drive. These settings that have been changed will be reset upon re-booting, after installation of Mac OS X.

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0
d# 867000000 encode-int " clock-frequency" property

mac-boot

I hope this helps those trying to install Mac OS X 10.5 onto a PPC with lower specs then recommended. I must recommend that not installing onto anything lower than 700MHz with at least 1GB Ram.

• 2 weeks later...

caladan

I'm having problems installing Leopard on a MacBook with a intel 2.2 Ghz with 2 gig memory just won't let me install

Setup gets me to the point to choose my language then i get this msg "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer".

Any chance this can be modified to work in my situation ?

Someone said theres a line in the install saying thats stopping it from installing

var badMachines = ['MacBook3,1','iMac','PowerBook1,1','PowerBook2,1', 'AAPL,Gossamer', 'AAPL,PowerMac G3', 'AAPL,PowerBook1998', 'AAPL,PowerBook1999'];

Should install no problem- you may just have a dirty or damaged disk; or a bad download... ;)

To get back to original topic, there is an app/helper available now called Leopard Assist-check Macupdate or Versiontracker-that performs this function. BTW, I've been running Leopard since first beta out, on Macs from 400mhz Titanium PB with 256mb ram up to a loaded MacPro. Faster on the TiBook than with Tiger...

Na not a dirty disk Ive tried it with 3 differnt copies always the same error even snagged a copy of 10.5 Server same problem

Messing with this for 2 days its kicking my ass

Should install no problem- you may just have a dirty or damaged disk; or a bad download... ;)

To get an OS on an "unsupported" machine, I install onto that drive in a firewire case (PPC) or internally from a supported machine, and then put the completed install back into "unsupported" . On the Macbook, you may have a firmware issue, bad ram or something else fxxked up... not enough space? Damaged directory? Try to work that out first, if you're sure you have a good install disk. Then select archive and install, not upgrade, if you still have Tiger on it. Or backup/clone the existing drive, then wipe it and try to do a clean install.

Bought the Macbook used but looks brand new came loaded with 10.5 on it but trying to do a clean install

Theres plenty of space on the drive got like 100gig as far as i can see it has the latest firmware on it

The memory looks good 2 1gig chips both same brand

Have no external fire wire drive or copy of tiger to try and install that way

It won't let me select any kind of install or archive and or install clean install

Just "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer". and can't get past that

To get an OS on an "unsupported" machine, I install onto that drive in a firewire case (PPC) or internally from a supported machine, and then put the completed install back into "unsupported" . On the Macbook, you may have a firmware issue, bad ram or something else fxxked up... not enough space? Damaged directory? Try to work that out first, if you're sure you have a good install disk. Then select archive and install, not upgrade, if you still have Tiger on it. Or backup/clone the existing drive, then wipe it and try to do a clean install.