Security Update 2007-009 Leopard on AMD?

Poochie

28 posts in this topic

Guest Snowski

Ah {censored} lads, you should have known better. The app updates are fine but always check for info first on the security updates.

See, now I know to not install it thx to you guys :unsure:

Goddamn shame you got the OS meessup up with this cause it probably took you guys a while to get it working in the first place.

Well hopefully you made a backup so in the worst case scenario there is only need for an image reinstall.

Good luck!

Hey Guys...

I had the exact same problem...I did the following and it seems to be working perfectly now...

I had Tiger installed in one of my other drives. I booted into it and ran Marvin's AMD Utility on my Leopard Drive...chose the last option...it seemed to patch a few files...

Then I booted into my Leopard drive with '-s'...

ran 'fsck -fy' just to make sure...

mounted the volume and deleted the Extension & Cache files from the Volume...

Then re-started with '-f -v'

Everything seems to be back to normal...

Hope this works for you guys...

Hey Guys...

I had the exact same problem...I did the following and it seems to be working perfectly now...

I had Tiger installed in one of my other drives. I booted into it and ran Marvin's AMD Utility on my Leopard Drive...chose the last option...it seemed to patch a few files...

Then I booted into my Leopard drive with '-s'...

ran 'fsck -fy' just to make sure...

mounted the volume and deleted the Extension & Cache files from the Volume...

Then re-started with '-f -v'

Everything seems to be back to normal...

Hope this works for you guys...

I had tried to use Marvin's utility on my powerbook with no success, I'll wait for confirmation about this one. A command-line verison of the marvin utility would be great! :-)

I had tried to use Marvin's utility on my powerbook with no success, I'll wait for confirmation about this one. A command-line verison of the marvin utility would be great! :-)

Have you tried deleting Extensions.mkext & caches & then booting with -f -v ?

Have you tried deleting Extensions.mkext & caches & then booting with -f -v ?

No, but I already restored the system and I'm waiting for confirmation before running the update again. I'll backup via dd anyway before doing anything like that.

I can confirm that it works fine after patching with Marvins AMD utility. However I did use the first option in marvin's utility and rebooted into single user mode before applying the patches. I didn't even bother deleting the caches :angel:

Here is the txt from the cpuid file...

0f a2
cd fb

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork
000016a0
00015085	cpuid
00051c5a	cpuid
00059f20	cpuid
0005fbd0	cpuid

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/LaunchServices
000014f8
000254b3	cpuid
00033900	cpuid
0003f64d	cpuid
00041fbe	cpuid
00060c85	cpuid
0006c837	cpuid
0006f4b9	cpuid
0006f743	cpuid

/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Dock.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/Dock
00000e54
00002857	cpuid

/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents
00001d80
009f64f9	cpuid
009f650c	cpuid
009f7180	cpuid
009f718d	cpuid
009f71c9	cpuid
009f71e4	cpuid
009f71ff	cpuid
009f721a	cpuid
00d58439	cpuid
00d5844c	cpuid

/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeH264.component/Contents/Resources/264decodForkedScalar
00001d84
00002241	cpuid
00002254	cpuid

/System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/MacOS/SPPlatformReporter
00000a70
00003532	cpuid

I left everything in the cpuid file save one thing, a vlc library that does not like being patches for some reason =0\

I can confirm that it works fine after patching with Marvins AMD utility. However I did use the first option in marvin's utility and rebooted into single user mode before applying the patches. I didn't even bother deleting the caches :angel:

CUT

I couldn't even start Marvin's utility without freezing! How did you patch in S.U. mode?

With the script that marvins utility generated =0D

I have two leopard installs on my machine and used marvins utility to create the script. Now both installs have the update and I havn't noticed any problems so far.. though I should try quicktime sense that was in the patch.... though its a simple fix if it doesnt wanna work.

Just boot intoi single user mode by holding down the f8 key and run the patch marvins utility creates for you.

http://www.upitus.com/download.php?file=d076b846 << here is a zip file of the patches marvins utility did. I always put them in the root directory and boot into single user mode, do the mounting and run the patch script.

errrm, just realized I could upload it here =0D

Anyway, hope that helps.

patches.zip

With the script that marvins utility generated =0D

I have two leopard installs on my machine and used marvins utility to create the script. Now both installs have the update and I havn't noticed any problems so far.. though I should try quicktime sense that was in the patch.... though its a simple fix if it doesnt wanna work.

Just boot intoi single user mode by holding down the f8 key and run the patch marvins utility creates for you.

http://www.upitus.com/download.php?file=d076b846 << here is a zip file of the patches marvins utility did. I always put them in the root directory and boot into single user mode, do the mounting and run the patch script.

errrm, just realized I could upload it here =0D

Anyway, hope that helps.

I'll try in the next days.

Small OT: did you try iLife 08 with that setup? More exactly do you suffer crashes with iMovie 8 (when exporting a project) and iDVD (randomly or when starting to render slideshows in my case)? Garageband seemt so be fine together with iPhoto.

so what to do exactly?

i installed the patch to my experimental partition, ran marvin's amd utiltiy over it, patched with the cpuid file, repaired permissions and rebooted.

after reboot i see my wallpaper, menubar, dock and mouse moving, but the beachball comes up and system freezes.

i'm actually restoring my experimental partition and trying BMC's patch, if its not working i would wait until 10.5.2 is released

Works great for me.

I install the update ,

boot in -s

apply the patch of BMC6053

Delete Extensions.mkext

Reboot ...

I can completely confirm that this method works with the 1.1 version of the update.

PS: I noticed that I have no USB 2.0 Full Speed support, copying from an external drive is a pain... what about other NF4 users?

PS: I noticed that I have no USB 2.0 Full Speed support, copying from an external drive is a pain... what about other NF4 users?

usb 2.0 fully working here with zephyroth 10.5.1 dvd... with toh rc2 i had the same problem, but installed PCGenUSBEHCI.kext that worked perfectly after correcting permissions with root:wheel

guess it was from 10.4.10

usb 2.0 fully working here with zephyroth 10.5.1 dvd... with toh rc2 i had the same problem, but installed PCGenUSBEHCI.kext that worked perfectly after correcting permissions with root:wheel

guess it was from 10.4.10

Could you please upload the kext you are using?

Thanks (are you using PS2 or USB Mouse/Keyboard? I need both to be emulated before any OS steps in, maybe that could be a problem.

hmm just use usb mouse and keyboard. check this out.

http://rapidshare.com/files/80026220/PCGenUSBEHCI.sitx.html

poochies-acpi:Extensions poochie$ sudo kextload -t PCGenUSBEHCI.kext
kextload: extension PCGenUSBEHCI.kext appears to be loadable
kextload: kmod_control/start failed for com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI; destroying kmod
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension PCGenUSBEHCI.kext
link/load failed for extension PCGenUSBEHCI.kext

Something's wrong :-s

Another thing I'd like to compare with you as we have similar HW: leaving it on for a few hours I notice that the GUI gets more and more laggy. It's like there is a drop in framerate like in a game... I see the mouse cursor making small jumps instead of moving smoothly, running an animated screensaver will result in a visible low framerate... this doesn't happen after a fresh boot, restarting the windowmanager will resolve nothing! Any hints?

Thanks again

poochies-acpi:Extensions poochie$ sudo kextload -t PCGenUSBEHCI.kext
kextload: extension PCGenUSBEHCI.kext appears to be loadable
kextload: kmod_control/start failed for com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI; destroying kmod
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension PCGenUSBEHCI.kext
link/load failed for extension PCGenUSBEHCI.kext

Something's wrong :-s

Another thing I'd like to compare with you as we have similar HW: leaving it on for a few hours I notice that the GUI gets more and more laggy. It's like there is a drop in framerate like in a game... I see the mouse cursor making small jumps instead of moving smoothly, running an animated screensaver will result in a visible low framerate... this doesn't happen after a fresh boot, restarting the windowmanager will resolve nothing! Any hints?

Thanks again

load the kext with:

sudo su

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/SomeDriver.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/SomeDriver.kext

exit

delete mkext and reboot

for the buggy thing:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and add:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>idlehalt=0</string>

then:

press ctrl+o

press enter

press ctrl+x

type exit

reboot

load the kext with:

sudo su

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/SomeDriver.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/SomeDriver.kext

exit

delete mkext and reboot

for the buggy thing:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and add:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>idlehalt=0</string>

then:

press ctrl+o

press enter

press ctrl+x

type exit

reboot

Hallo!

No luck with the USB driver, it always gives the same error looking in Console.app!

I didn't notice the sloppy problem since the last usage of Marvin's Utility, I appliend the kernel flag anyway :P

Hallo!

No luck with the USB driver, it always gives the same error looking in Console.app!

I didn't notice the sloppy problem since the last usage of Marvin's Utility, I appliend the kernel flag anyway :(

hmm im really sorry for your usb problem!

maybe u install the 10.5.1 dvd by zephiroth like me... everything works fine out of the box.

although there is no special kext for usb 2.0.

you could check out another verison of the forcedeth.kext, but it seems a bit risky.

maybe the kext that worked for me before i had zephiroth's dvd works for jmicron usb only...i guess u have to check the manufacturer

of your usb ports and google for working kexts.