IDE Hard Drive Not Detected for Installation

gescom

4 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install Mac OS X 10.4.8 (JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2) on a Sony desktop (VGC-RA837GY) with no luck. I can boot with the DVD and all is well, but when I go into the disk utility to select a partition to the only volume present is the installation DVD itself. I have search around on the forum here quite a bit and noticed this is common with SATA drives, so that was my initial assumption about my hard drive, so I checked it out. I have a partition formatted as FAT32 prepared for the OS X installation.

The primary hard drive on the computer is a WDC WD2500JD-98HBB0 (232 GB, IDE)

When I saw that it was an IDE drive, I was sort of lost. Does anyone have any idea why the installation isn't detecting my IDE hard drive?

I actually tried to install the same thing on an external USB drive I have as well, and the installation went fine. I just wasn't able to boot into it, despite the hours of troubleshooting including reordering boot priorities with the active partitions and such.

Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.6GHz (SSE2, SSE3)

Intel i915P/i915G chipset

1GB DDR RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB

Realtek ALC880

FAT32? All my computers are NTFS and they getting detected...Ummm...try formatting them to NTFS? I'm not quite sure since I'm not a guru at this myself but I use NTFS and all my stuff are detected...And not to mention all my HDDs are West. Digital..

BTW. Just for the record, I use Mac.Nub's OSx86 since it installs nicely on my sys

Only the partition I was planning on installing OS X onto is formatted in FAT32 so the Mac OS can read it and write to it, as recommended by guides I've read. The rest of the disk is NTFS, but not a bit of the hard drive is detected anyhow, just the OS X DVD itself.