Installing without Patches...

taanim

6 posts in this topic

Hey every1

i think we should wait for few months for hackers to properly patch and make a complete DVD to install Leopard without any post-patches. Since these are the early days in hacking Leopard.

What you ppl say?

Thanks.

I say no.

"The hackers" can only get so far, and only have so much equipment. They need people like us, and all our wierd hardware configurations, to provide them the information they need to make their work that much better.

Plus, I don't know about anyone else, but I find it quite fun to play around with software/hardware like this. Gives me something better to do than veg out in front of the TV.

i think i'll be waiting for a better release myself. i've burned who knows how many different install DVDs trying to get it up and running on my nforce 650i setup with no luck at all. hell i can't even get 10.4.10 going. only version that actually installs via the mac.nub dvd, but can't figure out why it won't boot. i was hoping to get it going then update to 10.5 but it looks like im screwed. don't mean to knock the efforts of everyone, i know a lot of hard work has gone into all this.

anyone by any chance have any suggestions on what release to use for an nforce 650i mobo? any special tricks or anything?

Core 2 Duo e6550 @3.2ghz

eVGA nforce 650i Ultra mobo

2gb DDR 800

ATI Radeon x1950gt 512mb

From what I'm reading, support for anything other than an Intel chipset is less than perfect. I have a "Bad Axe 2" board with a C2D E4500 and it's doing great. :)

I think a large part of the problem is that Apple is using Intel chips and chipsets in their own hardware, so unless someone gets to porting drivers (or however it works for BSD land), many of you will be SOL as far as getting your rigs up and running both properly *and* smoothly. :)

i think i'll be waiting for a better release myself. i've burned who knows how many different install DVDs trying to get it up and running on my nforce 650i setup with no luck at all. hell i can't even get 10.4.10 going. only version that actually installs via the mac.nub dvd, but can't figure out why it won't boot. i was hoping to get it going then update to 10.5 but it looks like im screwed. don't mean to knock the efforts of everyone, i know a lot of hard work has gone into all this.

anyone by any chance have any suggestions on what release to use for an nforce 650i mobo? any special tricks or anything?

Core 2 Duo e6550 @3.2ghz

eVGA nforce 650i Ultra mobo

2gb DDR 800

ATI Radeon x1950gt 512mb

I'd recommend getting an Intel setup and going at it yourself. You can use pretty much all native drivers bar a couple of tweaks (dsmos, audio and network). The newer releases of DVD will just be a large collection of drivers for different setups, i.e. you run an installer and pick your hardware, and it'll create a bootable DVD for you. Handy - yes, any more native - no. BrazilMac (skip the post patch and change only what you need manually) + EFI is the way. Buy a copy of Leopard too, it's worth it.

It doesn't hurt to lean to tinker with Darwin (nix), it's a lot easier than people think and it helps you understand the underpinnings of the OS.

the best you can hope to get is a machine that runs almost as good as a MAC, it will probably never be "as good" with the differences between MAC and PC intel bases machines and you have ask youself, if you realy want a 100% functional MAC then just go and buy it, you will be supported and when updates come you don't have to hack your way through them and worry if they will blow up your machine.