Video Card Replacement

6 posts in this topic

Ok, two questions.

I'm looking for a new video card. Atm I have Nvidia 8600M GT and tbh, it isn't all to rad on windows either. I have a dell Vostro 1700 (a laptop). What would be a good OSX compatible card that I can run 3D games on like wow at a constantly good framerate?

And if I want sound, that card is also messed up, (some intel card) can I just get a USB audio card?

Please answer :(.

I should just have bought an iMac, this stupid computer was more expensive and its so large its barely considered portable anymore..

Gonna try to get my mom to buy it XD..

But is the 8800 a good idea, and exactly which card would suit the best?

You can't change video cards in that laptop at all, you are stuck with it for good.

What kind of fps are you looking at? With a 7600GT AGP on my Athlon64 4200+, I get constant 20fps above SC with every effects turned on, and looking as far ahead as possible. I also get no less than 25fps in any 10/25 men raid or any instances. I would imagine your 8600M GT would probably do better than mine, not to mention with a better CPU.

If you get somewhere like 30fps and over, I would rather spend the money on a better ISP (if there is any) to get the latency down which will definitely help the game play, especially in places like arena and bgs. Don't forget that your screen only refresh at certain frequency, there is really no point to get the fps above that number, don't chase fps number unless its is too low.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm kinda picky, at the worst, my fps drops to 30 in Shattrah, and otherwise stays at a constant 60. But the thing is that noone has written a driver for the card for OSX, and I can't program anything. The other thing is that after playing for a few hours, the card just stops running and my fps drops to 5-10.....