Black screen with "E" in corner when trying to boot from DVD

996gt2

3 posts in this topic

I tried both the OS X 10.5 AMD iso and the 10.4.8 JaS AMD/Intel SSE2/3 iso; burned in Nero 7 Ultra onto Verbatim DVD+Rs (checked the "verify after burn" box), then used a PS/2 Keyboard and USB to Male PS/2 adaptor for the mouse (so both are PS/2). I also disabled legacy USB support from BIOS as some posts here have said to do. However, as soon as I try to boot from the DVD, I just get stuck at a black screen with an "E" in the top left corner and neither keyboard nor mouse work. The Numlock light is on in my keyboard, but trying to press caps or scroll light has no effect and the lights stay off for those. What is happening here? What do I need to do to get the bootloader to recognize my key presses so that I can continue with the install?

If it's indeed my PS/2 keyboard (even though both keyboard and mouse are on PS/2 now), then will I be able to progress beyond the "E" with a USB one?

I did read that a PS/2 keyboard kext was needed, so I tried to add the kext folder to /System/Library/Extensions through MagicISO and then re-saving the iso file. Is this the proper way to add kexts? Does anything else need to be done for the kexts to work?

System info:

Athlon X2 Brisbane @ 2.8 GHz (tested stable in Windows under Orthos)

2 GB G.Skill-HZ DDR2-800

MSI K9N Platinum NF570

7600GT

120G Seagate ATA (C: drive, Windows)

80G Maxtor SATA (E: drive, 20GB set unallocated for OS X)

Thanks for any help. I'm new to OSx86 and it's been pretty overwhelming so far...but I'll keep trying as long as I have some advice to go off of...

I've tried booting other discs from my NEC ND-3550 drive, such as a Knoppix Live-DVD. It worked flawlessly...however, the OS X install CDs won't get past that E with the flashing cursor after it, no matter what I try to do...I've tried several versions already and they all show the same behavior

Is there something I should be doing prior to burning the discs that I'm not doing? I'm currently burning at 4x instead of 16x onto high quality Verbatim (MCC) discs.