Problem during installation

EricJD

16 posts in this topic

Well, I followed the profit42 guide, but now I have problems when I get to the part where I actually install Mac OS X... I got to the part where it told me to select the volume to install it on, and the box below was blank... So I went into the disk manager and erased/verified/repaired the partition that I made (10GB) for OS X. But now it says that I cannot install OS X on it because it cannot boot from the volume. What's wrong here?

screenshot

Edited by EricJD

as far as I can see, your osx86 partition IS HFS+ formatted

but you cannot use osx86 with extended/logical partition on the same HD

remove or convert logical to primary with partition magic

obviously on your system there is too much primary partitions to do this ... your choice !

Edited by temis

you cannot use osx86 with logical partition on the same DD

remove or convert logical to primary with any non distructive tool (partition magic etc ...)

are you saying that I can't have ANY logical partitions on my drive at all? Or do you mean I can't install OS X on a logical partition? The partition I'm attempting to install OS X on is the one marked in yellow, not the pink and blue one.

btw- what exactly is "DD"? I've been wondering this whole time...

Edited by EricJD

yes, but you can't have more than 4 primary partitions on the same HD

I was wondering : why use a 73 Go partition for XP ?

and since you are about to use partition magic extensively, I would suggest a 15 or 20 Go partition for XP which is far enough, a much bigger partition for data files 60 / 70 Go so you can store videos and big media stuff, and a 15 or 20 Go for osx86, in case you install ilife 06 or media oriented programs you will need a lot of HD space

Edited by temis