iMacs are not four times faster....

xiberia

12 posts in this topic

FWIW, Apple never said the iMacs were 4 times faster, they said that about the MacBook Pro.

Yes, they said that the processor in the new Intel iMac is 2-3x faster. The processor might be faster, the whole machine isn't!

"Based on estimated results of industry-standard SPECint and SPECfp rate tests"

Says it all. I don't remember him ever saying "All your applications will run 3x faster!" Anyone with half a clue knows those tests don't mean jack s*** in real life. It was just a marketing exercise - has anyone ever managed to get their car to equal the economy quotes in the specs? No. Does anyone really expect the manufacturers not to embelish a little? No.

Edited by 0uch!p0tat0

Always look what benchmark is running. Apple chose SPECint and SPECfp rate because this benchmark show potential of many cores. I think there isn’t any other benchmark that will show better difference between those CPUs (G5 vs coreduo), or better, one core per chip processor vs two core processor or more. Just look at results from spec http://www.spec.org/cpu2000/results/rint2000.html

Advanced Micro Devices Pogo Linux PerformanceWare 3566, AMD Opteron 865 4 cores, 2 chips, 2 cores/chip 50.1 55.8

Advanced Micro Devices Pogo Linux PerformanceWare 3566, AMD Opteron 865 8 cores, 4 chips, 2 cores/chip 104 110

PowerEdge 6650 (2.0 GHz Xeon MP) 2 cores, 2 chips, 1 core/chip (Hyper-Threading Technology disabled) 18.1 18.7

PowerEdge 6650 (2.0 GHz Xeon MP) 4 cores, 4 chips, 1 core/chip (Hyper-Threading Technology disabled) 33.9 34.7

Each core is like another processor

one core processor will be almost twice slow in this test than two core processor ....

Apple compare 1.4 GHz G4 or 2.1 GHz one core G5 to dual core 2 GHz Intel. Why they don’t compare with power mac 2 GHz dual core G5? This would be real PowerPC vs Intel

This benchmark is not mean that everything will be super fast. This isn’t real life apps usage test. For presentation is super, numbers are high and Steve can say what high end his new computer is. I don’t say that new intel Mac are piece of {censored}. I say that Apple company are very good in promotion. Steve say new scores on his presentation and crowd are yelling, half of them are Apple workers :thumbsup_anim:. Apple know how to make you fill that you need this stuff. You buy it, try and say “ oh, this isn’t 4 times faster, but is mine. I wont it from a long time” Steve make that.

They say that they make 5 OS in 5 last years. That’s impressed and you pay for each os and change hardware instantly to suit it. Apple just make cash. This spec are one of way to do that.

Please don’t blame me for my English.

Apple compare 1.4 GHz G4 or 2.1 GHz one core G5 to dual core 2 GHz Intel. Why they don’t compare with power mac 2 GHz dual core G5? This would be real PowerPC vs Intel

Look again at the figures that Apple produced, they compared the 1.67GHz powerbook G4 to the 1.83GHz Macbook Pro (I assume they used their fastest Macbook Pro here), and the 2.1 GHz iMac (G5 single core) to the 2GHz iMac (intel core duo). They weren't comparing processors and saying that this processor is faster than that one, they were comparing the top two products of the same type, using a dual core G5 would not give a fair comparison since they haven't released any direct replacement for the PowerMac yet.

Look again at the figures that Apple produced, they compared the 1.67GHz powerbook G4 to the 1.83GHz Macbook Pro (I assume they used their fastest Macbook Pro here), and the 2.1 GHz iMac (G5 single core) to the 2GHz iMac (intel core duo).

You are right, I don't check GHz before post.

They weren't comparing processors and saying that this processor is faster than that one, they were comparing the top two products of the same type, using a dual core G5 would not give a fair comparison since they haven't released any direct replacement for the PowerMac yet.

This is first product of Intel Mac and for now is ok. It must past some time to developers can release professional universal apps. These would be no sense make PowerMac on Intel that must use rosetta apps. I think it must be more GHz on Intel to beat dual core G5. You are right that they compare "products of the same type" They use benchmark that show biggest difference between then. Normal user who like mac os because “they just works”, don’t understood what that scores mean. Hi is focused on 2 x faster and 4 times faster. Later hi is little disappointment, this topic is proven that.

Edited by alicheusz