Farewell, CompUSA

Numberzz

19 posts in this topic

You read the title correctly, CompUSA will begin shutting down all of it's stores around the world. At the beginning of 2007, CompUSA began downsizing. Now that they have officially announced that they will be no more, they will try to sell all of their inventory. Close to the holidays. This means that you might be able to get a bargain, or 20, at CompUSA. The company itself was Apple's largest retailer until Apple started selling computers in Best Buy.

dock-20071208-173617.jpg

Full Story Link 1

Full Story Link 2

OMG I was just heading over here to post the news but I guess Numberzz covers it. Heres a link with a better idea of the whole story:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/12/08/news/story05.html

Some Boston Investor Group has acquired the stores and intends to shut them most down (except for the stores in Hawaii). They also intend to take control or sell CompUSAs online operations.

lol i lost my job durring the first cut, they tried to re-hire me but i was "told" they would probably be shutting the whole company down due to bad business choices such as brining tv's in , bad new company mngr, and etc from a reliable source within 6months....happy i listened

This is a shame. Yes CompUSA had its problems. You could find items cheaper online. Their sales staff had about the same tech knowledge as my Grandmother. BUT (at least here in the south east) if you needed PC parts same day, there really is no other viable option. Best Buy and Circuit City had about the same prices, but nowhere near the inventory of CompUSA. There is always the local PC parts store but their prices have always been 10-20% above even CompUSA's high prices.

not surprised at all. compusa was always over-priced compared to other places. don't be surprised if the store closing 'liquidation' sales aren't anything to write home about. with their jacked up prices they don't tend to be very good deals. they'll try as long as they can to keep those prices pretty high, then maybe with the last week or 2 come down a bit. went to a store that closed around here. there were no bargains. i found a 52 inch tv at ultimate the same model, same day that was $200 cheaper than the comp 'going out of business' price...

Bummer. The CompUSA in my town closed last spring. I didn't get a chance to check out their close out sale, though. But there's an Apple Store in the mall in my town, and a best buy! So Applewise, I'm set. =)

I don't know about getting raped by CompUSA. I've always had good experiences with them. No trouble returning stuff. Great service. Friendly, albeit ignorant, staff. I'm a meticulous package opener, so I've never even paid the restocking fee.

I'd have to agree that for getting a part _right now_ CompUSA was tough to beat. Their prices are higher than NewEgg's, obviously. But I always found my local CompUSA far more friendly and customer-orientated than either BestBuy or Circuit City. Generally, competition is good for the consumer, so I suppose I will mourn the lack of diversity.

I buy nearly all of my hardware from NewEgg, but I may go check the shelves a few times over the next couple of weeks. I need a new external drive. Maybe I'll find a deal I just can't resist.

Good riddance. The only store near me went out 6 months ago, and being that it was about the busiest of the dozen or so Compusa I've seen, I knew it was no fix. People like to say it was the Etailers that wiped them out, but just plain better stores like MicroCenter and Frys were more than enough.

Also don't bother with their closeout sales, the company that liquidates their stores gave only about a 15-25% discount(mostly stuff that would cost the same at Fry's after the discount) and the stock is always reduced to nothing well beforehand.  :rolleyes:  Was sure fun watching some sob come in an raise hell because his warranty was forfeit though.

Countdown to Circut City, Bestbuy and the other fail retailers....

CompUSA was one of the few retailers that had Apple/Mac Hardware and Software before The Apple Stores came out.

CompUSA became squeezed out by other retailers (Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc) and online retailers (NewEgg.com, TigerDirect.com, etc).

In the 90's, CompUSA was doing fairly well. I used to go to browse and shop there. But recently, many computer enthusiasts (CompUSA's core market) went to online retailers.

--danyel :)