Leopard (brazilmac) won't shut down, restart or come back from sleep

sladeslade

10 posts in this topic

my config: Pentium 4 3,2ghz with HT, Asus P4C800-E, 7300GT using NVinject 0.1.3

my os: Leopard 10.5.0, patched the brazilmac way

i can't shut it down, restart and it won't come back from sleep, shutting it down using the terminal showed to abnormal behaviour, it just wouldn't power down the system in the end

any help?

probably wont make you feel much better, but i am suffering from the exact same issues.

my specs are as follows:

ToH patched leopard RC2/xp pro/ubuntu 7.10 via grub

acer 5570z laptop with t70 core 2 duo 1.73ghz - although it only shows one core right now

2 gigs of ram

ich7r chipset mb

gma950 gpu - qe+ci working

160 gig sata hard drive

azalia audio

marvell gigabit ethernet - shows up, doesnt work

ar5007eg chip wifi - not working at all

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not able to offer much comfort here as there's still some issues that I haven't been able to resolve, but here's my current situation.

I find that restarting never works. The OS stops, but the hardware doesn't. No workaround that I can find.

Shut down works intermittently, but it's a drag having to hold down the power button on those many occasions that it doesn't. So I chose to log offshut down button in the login window. I find that always works.

But even better, for those who, like me, use Logitech's Elite keyboard, there's a power off button - it's on the left edge and is a small circular button sporting a crescent. Pressing that button brings up a dialog with log out, restart, sleep and shut down. Clicking the shut down button on that dialog always works.

So the OS is perfectly capable of shutting down - why it doesn't do so every time is a mystery.

The Logitech-induced restart option doesn't work however. Something is really broken there. I have resorted to using the shut down process and then hitting the restart on the computer case - not ideal but way better than having to hold the power button down for 5 seconds.

EDIT:

Found a reference on these forums to a kext (AppleACPIPlatform.kext) available through the IRC chat. It works as advertised, in the sense that it provides a restart where none was available before. The downside is the the display stutters where that didn't happen before. You gain a little, you lose a little. :D

I'm about to do a bunch of permissions juju and sacrifice a goat etc in order to try to reclaim a smooth graphics performance. Wish me luck.

Will update this following my invocation of the relevant unix occult mumbo jumbo.

EDIT AGAIN:

Tried sleep mode, and it slept and awoke perfectly. So in summary, shutdown works. Restart works. And sleep works. Even the jittery display has gotten better since the 'repair permissions' voodoo and hex-removal-malarkey application. It might even improve further with a few restarts and such. Or not. But it's definitely feeling more bulletproof now. :D

EDIT: Kext added.

Hope that helps somebody out there.

Cheers,

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not able to offer much comfort here as there's still some issues that I haven't been able to resolve, but here's my current situation.

I find that restarting never works. The OS stops, but the hardware doesn't. No workaround that I can find.

Shut down works intermittently, but it's a drag having to hold down the power button on those many occasions that it doesn't. So I chose to log offshut down button in the login window. I find that always works.

But even better, for those who, like me, use Logitech's Elite keyboard, there's a power off button - it's on the left edge and is a small circular button sporting a crescent. Pressing that button brings up a dialog with log out, restart, sleep and shut down. Clicking the shut down button on that dialog always works.

So the OS is perfectly capable of shutting down - why it doesn't do so every time is a mystery.

The Logitech-induced restart option doesn't work however. Something is really broken there. I have resorted to using the shut down process and then hitting the restart on the computer case - not ideal but way better than having to hold the power button down for 5 seconds.

EDIT:

Found a reference on these forums to a kext (AppleACPIPlatform.kext) available through the IRC chat. It works as advertised, in the sense that it provides a restart where none was available before. The downside is the the display stutters where that didn't happen before. You gain a little, you lose a little. :)

I'm about to do a bunch of permissions juju and sacrifice a goat etc in order to try to reclaim a smooth graphics performance. Wish me luck.

Will update this following my invocation of the relevant unix occult mumbo jumbo.

EDIT AGAIN:

Tried sleep mode, and it slept and awoke perfectly. So in summary, shutdown works. Restart works. And sleep works. Even the jittery display has gotten better since the 'repair permissions' voodoo and hex-removal-malarkey application. It might even improve further with a few restarts and such. Or not. But it's definitely feeling more bulletproof now. :D

Hope that helps somebody out there.

Cheers,

Andy.

I would be more of a help to post AppleACPIPlatform.kext here so I can solve my inability to shut down. The battery as a percentage works fine currently but can't shut down the vostro 1500. Have to manually push the power button.