Did I just kill two of my hard drives?

flare389

22 posts in this topic

So I tried installing Leopard last night using Brazilmac patched cd found on demonoid. I installed to a external harddrive. Everything seemed to go according to the instructions until the point where I was to reboot to Leopard. This is after going in and patching with ./9a581PostPatch.sh . It just hangs on a blinking line in DOS.

Now... I found a tutorial on how to supposedly fix that here http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/658/howt...ot-setup-guide/. But the problem is, my harddrive cannot be detected by Leopard or Vista anymore. I cannot format it. This has happened to two of my harddrives I tried installing Leopard on. Does anyone know whats up?

that sounds odd... it's normal for the drive to be gone from windows (assuming you formatted it HFS+ -- which you should for a leopard boot partition) but when you boot from the brazilmac disk and open a terminal you should be able to see it. are these external hard drives? what type (usb / fire wire)?

it's possible though unlikely that the usb controller for the drive will only work with some file systems (heard of this for external enclosures that do more than just being a hard drive, like doing nfs share or ftp as well and have network port etc...).

if you boot from the cd with the external plugged, click the next button, then wen the top drop-down menus come up click on terminal... what do you get when you type "ls /Volumes" ?

I'll check. The hard drive is in an external usb 2.0 enclosure. Right now I'm just hoping my hard drives are not completely useless. I cannot see the drive in the disk manager when booting from the Leopard DVD. Again, I'm going to see what happens when I type "ls /Volumes"

Alright, I tried typing that in the terminal and here's a screenshot of the outcome. post-160291-1196971412_thumb.jpg

I took some other screenshots to see if you can make anything of them.

post-160291-1196971593_thumb.jpg

post-160291-1196971613_thumb.jpg

Only thing that BIOS shows are the CDRW and DVD drives. But since it's USB I don't think it should show up here?

post-160291-1196971641_thumb.jpg

Alright, I tried typing that in the terminal and here's a screenshot of the outcome. post-160291-1196971412_thumb.jpg

I took some other screenshots to see if you can make anything of them.

post-160291-1196971593_thumb.jpg

post-160291-1196971613_thumb.jpg

Only thing that BIOS shows are the CDRW and DVD drives. But since it's USB I don't think it should show up here?

post-160291-1196971641_thumb.jpg

thats because your trying to install on an apple partition map. If you install EFI v8.0 you can boot a APM, but if you dont you need to reformat the drive to a Master boot record.

use disk utility and re partition them.

BUT when you do make sure you click options and click master boot record

That's where the problem comes in. Disk utility doesn't even recognize the hard drives anymore. They don't show up anywhere.

Go out and download the Live Ubuntu CD. Boot from it, no need to install it. Then go into the Administrator/Gparted disk utility. From there you will be able to see all of your drives. You can format/partiton and save any changes you need to make. Linux will see all of your drives. Windows will not unless you install a cool application called MacDrive :hysterical: Then you will be able to manipulate your hard drives and files via windows. I do this alot when I am experimenting. If my Mac crashes...oh well I just boot to windows and fix it there. I have 5 hard drives in my workstation. One of them is cloned with Superduper, so I can easily undo what I break.

Hope this helps-

Alright, so I tried the Ubuntu thing but for some reason it didn't work. BUT, what I did was unplug my DVD drive and use the IDE cable to plug in the hard drive then in Vista I was able to reformat it. Vista just couldn't see it while it was in the external enclosure

"I am me" was right about having to format in MBR. Did that and now atleast the Leopard boot dvd recognizes the install. Now I'm stuck trying to figure out the bootfix from http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/658/howt...ot-setup-guide/. Every time I try to type in

fdisk: 0>update

into the terminal it says it's an invalid command.

Seems like each time I figure something out, something else goes wrong.

Atleast I'm making progress right? Hope someone can help me out here.

Alright, so I tried the Ubuntu thing but for some reason it didn't work. BUT, what I did was unplug my DVD drive and use the IDE cable to plug in the hard drive then in Vista I was able to reformat it. Vista just couldn't see it while it was in the external enclosure

"I am me" was right about having to format in MBR. Did that and now atleast the Leopard boot dvd recognizes the install. Now I'm stuck trying to figure out the bootfix from http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/658/howt...ot-setup-guide/. Every time I try to type in

fdisk: 0>update

into the terminal it says it's an invalid command.

Seems like each time I figure something out, something else goes wrong.

Atleast I'm making progress right? Hope someone can help me out here.

Try kalyways boot disk on the bay or install tiger first

Before I do that I want to know how that would help. It takes a long time to redo everything as you all know.

it would definitely help, using kalyways disk would be faster than installing tiger then leo.

DL it now while I'm the only leacher and there's 24 seeders

Alright, well I already have the tiger disk so I'll try that

it would definitely help, using kalyways disk would be faster than installing tiger then leo.DL it now while I'm the only leacher and there's 24 seeders
Before I start. Do you think if I follow this exactly. http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/658/howt...ot-setup-guide/But used the patched Brazilmac leopard dvd off demonoid it should work?Btw, thanks for the help so far.

Alright, well I already have the tiger disk so I'll try thatBefore I start. Do you think if I follow this exactly. http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/658/howt...ot-setup-guide/But used the patched Brazilmac leopard dvd off demonoid it should work?Btw, thanks for the help so far.

cant help you there i didnt start from windows i went from xp to clean install of tiger to leopard then added vista.