Is it possible to install osx86 on a real Mac?

5 posts in this topic

Call me insane if you want to, but I'm just curious. I've tried to pop in an uphuck disc before, but it wouldn't even boot(black screen after choosing it on my MBP). Has anyone managed to install osx86 natively on a real Mac? XD

Call me insane if you want to, but I'm just curious. I've tried to pop in an uphuck disc before, but it wouldn't even boot(black screen after choosing it on my MBP). Has anyone managed to install osx86 natively on a real Mac? XD

Hi DaxTsurgi:

Well, this is the InsanelyMac Forum (lol).

I don't have a real Mac, but I've heard it is not possible to use an OSx86 Disc. You'll have to get the real disc for Tiger or Leopard.

--danyel :blink:

it's simple.

the difference between the 2 discs is the way each piece of hardware boots. OSx86 discs are setup to boot on pc hardware, whereas reg tiger and leopard discs are setup to boot in mac hardware (EFI)

see, there's a patch out there that you can take your legit leopard cd, and patch it so it boots on pcs. the only thing that does is rewrite the boot sector of the image file to boot on pcs.

so basically, osx86 images such as uphucks, are patched for pc, so you wouldnt be able to do that.