Forcing Leopard to use onboard video

7 posts in this topic

My main video card is an Nvidia 8600gt which is well known to not work well under OS X. I also have an intel 950 video

card built into my motherboard which seems to work well. Currently the only way that I can choose between the two

is to change the primary video in my bios when I boot.

Is there some way to force leopard to ignore my primary nvidia card and always use the intel one?

That's a tough one. As far as I know it's the hardware (and as such, the BIOS) which determines the primary video adapter.

In my experience, however, OS X has a habit of ignoring video adapters that don't have a monitor plugged into them. Have you tried booting up without anything plugged into the NVidia card?

Whatever video adapter displays the BIOS information at startup is the adapter the system uses. It can't change to the other one on the fly.

You can check what extensions were loaded in OSX and see if both the GeForce and GMA drivers were loaded up.

There should be an option in the BIOS for setting the display preference to built-in vs PCIe. I'd also try removing the nVidia kexts as suggested.

Even so, I'm not sure that you'll get a good result. I've tried this route before and was never able to make it work properly. OS X always seems to detect and try to use the card in the PCIe slot, regardless of what you do.