P5K-e and Sata DVD Drive

11 posts in this topic

I'm having some issues here with my DVD drive(s) and my new P5K-e. Several other users have reported similar problems, and I have tried 2 different drive models which leads me to believe:

a ) It isn't a drive model problem and a problem with the board.

b ) I got unlucky and bought 2 models that don't work.

They were: Pioneer 212D SATA, and Lite On 20A1S 20x SATA.

The Issue: Upon leaving a disc in the drive for more than about 5 minutes being unused, you will be unable to access the disc or eject it. Upon reseting the computer, BIOS reports that there is no DVD drive attached and you need to shutdown the computer for it to come back. This only happens in OS X (Tiger, as I do not have Leopard Installed), and not windows.

The issue varied slightly with each drive model.

Not everyone is having this issue with the p5K-e either. Now all I have done to my P5K-e to make it any different is upgrade to the 602 Beta BIOS. I did this very early on in the piece, before I noticed the drive disappearing issue.

If P5K-e users can list their drive models, os x version and motherboard models (including the BIOS you have installed), and the results you are having, it may help me to figure out whats up, as I'm pretty sure no one has solved this issue yet.

Motherboard: ASUS P5K-e WIFI/AP

BIOS: 602 Beta

OSX: 10.4.10 (Jas 10.4.8 + Koolkal 10.4.10)

DVD: Pioneer 212D Sata and Lite-on 20A1S 20x Sata both tested.

Results: Both drives forget they exist after leaving a disc in them unused for more than about 5 minutes.

I Updated to BIOS 806, and still the problem pursists.

I'm starting to think more and more that it may be a problem with the motherboard being set to AHCI, and having a sata dvd drive on it.

Whats the bet that 2 different drive models had the same issue with this board and OS X?

If P5K-e users can list their drive models, os x version and motherboard models (including the BIOS you have installed), and the results you are having, it may help me to figure out whats up, as I'm pretty sure no one has solved this issue yet.

Motherboard: ASUS P5K-e WIFI/AP

BIOS: 602 Beta

OSX: 10.5.1 PC_EFI

DVD: Samsung SH-S203N

About This Mac says:

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203N:

Firmware Revision: SB01

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)

Profile Path: None

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

Results: No issues

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

february 2009:

Same problem too with a Pioneer 216D on a Gigabyte EP45C- DS3R - forgets its alive after a few mins unused. Then when you click on it's icon it disappears and become no more responsive till a reboot.

It happens only when using AHCI mode; This optical drive does not disappears (for me )using SATA mode.

So it's seems related with AHCI.

• 2 weeks later...

Pioneer DVR-216D

Lenovo ThinkCentre M57 Model 6086

Its an Intel Q35 Chipset with ICH9 working as AHCI.

Same Problem.

When I leave the disc some time without doing anything the drive stop to respond. If I remove the power cable and plug it back on the drive starts to work again with no problem.

It seens some kind of power saving feature not working with the Apple drivers.

Ow, I'm using the retail MacOS with all the original Apple Drivers on this computer. Just installed the Intel Network Card Driver.

Will try to turn on Legacy mode on the BIOS.