[HowTo] Enable SAFT to work in Safari

suleiman

14 posts in this topic

Okay, so I'd been wanting to try out SAFT, the famed plugin for safari, for sometime. Unfortunatley the software developer hasn't released a version that works for our version of Safari. Without too much talk, this is what I did to get a fix (that hasn't crashed yet)

1. First navigate to your Safari.app file and right-click and select "Show Package Contents"

2. Click on Contents, then open Version.plist in text editor and replace what text appears between and with what I have here:

BuildVersion

CFBundleShortVersionString

CFBundleVersion

ProjectName

WebBrowser

SourceVersion

3. Save that file.

4. Now open Info.plist and run a search for "CFBundleVersion" and change what appears below to "417.8"

5. Now search for "CFBundleGetInfoString" and change what appears below, the "2.0.2" to "2.0.3"

6. Now search for "CFBundleShortVersionString" and again change what appears below, the "2.0.2" to "2.0.3"

7. Save that file.

8. Enjoy SAFT :)

P.S. I haven't tried using any of the SAFT plugins yet...that's the next thing on my todo.

EDIT: After playing around with this some I found a couple off quirks. Firstly, after opening a new window it is impossible to close it (either using CMD + W, or from the menu). Secondly, Safari seems to crash on some occassions a short while after loading back up again. I did some digging and found that this was likely caused by the "Restore Windows at Startup" feature built into Saft and enabled by default. You can disable it and you should be back up and running again.

Personally despite these set backs I still love this plugin. I can now disable flash and images when browsing around the web, boosting page load times trifold. And I can browse in full screen mode!! Well worth it to me, but I thought I would let others know of the problems I encountered.

EDIT #2: As my good friend xtraa has pointed out, be sure to make a backup of Safari.app before launching into this. Also, if you need to do any chmodding and chowning then follow his instructions in the second post, I personally didn't need to but you might!

Edited by suleiman

W000h0000 :D

Thank you, You made my day :D :D

Really a very nice workaround, i wonder how you found out??

Anyway, it is working perfect! :thumbsup_anim:

But you have to add three lines:

1. make a backup of Safari.app

And after changin things do

chmod -R 755 /Applications/Safari.app

chown -R root:wheel /Applications/Safari.app

Then it worked for me :) :)

glad u got it working cavemonkey. I like the _blank new tab feature too, but my favorite features are full screen mode and blocking of that darn download confirmation message that pops up whenever you try downloading something in safari!

To answer your question, Saft isn't a unibin, it's still PPC only, but it seems to run in rosetta no worries.

I should point out, I've had a few bugs in this build. Most notably I can't seem to close any new windows Safari opens, I have to quit out of the application altogether.

Hopefully things will get sorted later on down the line, it's just a matter of waiting for a universal build...though my suspicions tell me we'll have to use this hack to get the universal build working too on our safari.

cavemonkey, the reason I know that it's not a unibin is because that if you browse to LocalDrive/Library/InputManagers/, then select Saft and press CMD + I, you won't have an option to open it under rosetta.

If you install the Safari Enhancer plugin, which is universal, you'll see this option.

I'm in the same boat as you, with respect to thinking that non-intel plugins wouldn't work on safari, but for some reason Saft is the exception to the rule here.

While checking demonoid's I found that there now is a UNIBIN version of Saft: version 8.2.5 (413)

I installed this version over my previous version (8.2.3) and Safari doesn't crash anymore (used to crash now and then while using the previous version of Saft)

Dunno if this has been posted before... If not: now you know it :blink:

While checking demonoid's I found that there now is a UNIBIN version of Saft: version 8.2.5 (413)

I installed this version over my previous version (8.2.3) and Safari doesn't crash anymore (used to crash now and then while using the previous version of Saft)

Dunno if this has been posted before... If not: now you know it :)

Yes, it works better, but there is this "nag" window popping up from time to time. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...