Not much on 10.4.4 from anyone? WHY?

slicemaster101

43 posts in this topic

Well,

I wouldn’t consider myself impatient but I really don’t know what the holdup is and why information on 10.4.4 is so slow coming. I for one have not been able to find 10.4.4 anywhere when previous versions were up on the net the same day as they were released. It makes no since, what’s the holdup? There is also no mention of any activity as to the cracking of 10.4.4 here or on Maxxuss’ site. The news being reported as of late is soft or useless and I was wondering why the cracking process hasn’t even been mentioned yet in the news and the installation disk image is nowhere to be found. All this on top of the fact that 10.4.4 has been “out in the wild” since Mac world 2006 which took place on the 9th-13th of this month. What is taking so long?

Slice

I think the 10.4.4 improvements are few and far between. From what I can gather it's basically the same as the 10.4.2 release, for which Maxxuss simply provided an updated kernel and some system hacks which permitted compatibilty with most apps that required 10.4.2.

However, 10.4.2 was never "released" in the sense that DVD install disks were available for download, or cracks to kernels were produced, as was the case for 10.4.1 and 10.4.3.

Just my two bits, though I may be completely off chart here.

yeah, I think 10.4.4 is mainly adding the EFI stuff, not much else. If you look at the changelog for the PPC version of 10.4.4, its mainly bugfixes, no big changes. So I doubt the intel 10.4.4 is all that different from our 10.4.3 in regards to day-to-day running. It would be nice to have the latest iSync, widgets etc, but I don't think we're missing out that much by not having it. 10.4.4 isn't a magic wand thats going to fix all your USB sound, wireless and graphics problems. In fact, it'll probably just make more problems.

The only time we'll need patches and new kernals is if software starts coming out that won't install on 10.4.3. And that will probably be after 10.5 is released :happymac:

(Just my "non technical" opinion, I could be wrong)

Edited by xiberia

10.4.3 is unstable sometimes, and I experience random program crashes. Safari will crash all the time. I was assuming that 10.4.4 wouldn't have this problem. Am I wrong? Is the problem in rosetta, the hacked kernel, or something else? Now I haven't heard much from anyone about stability on the new intel macs, but Apple's software usually works, so I have a hard time believing that 10.4.4 on the new intel imac has problems with stability like I've had with 10.4.3. 10.4.3 intel was still a development version, but 10.4.4 is a release version, so I'm thinking it will be better.

ok heres an idea as to why we havent seen 10.4.4 disk

The installation files might be kept on a serate partition hidden from the user

all the user has to do to fix the intel mac is, put in the "recovery disk" to start the recovery process. and osx will fix the mac by using the files on the hidden partition.

if there is a "install disk" apple might have tied each install cd to each intel mac.

so it wont install on another intelmac.

i could be wrong about that, the only way to know for sure is if some one has an intel mac. please tell us if there is an "installation disk" or just a "recovery disk"

Ok i have one suggestion.

First let`s make a copy from "recovery disk" 10.4.4 use (cloneCD) and then rapidshare.

Second if we have a image from iMac HDD we can try to restore to other HDD

or in VMware virtual HDD and then we can try to run if is possible.

Guest AaloPalto
10.4.3 is unstable sometimes, and I experience random program crashes. Safari will crash all the time. I was assuming that 10.4.4 wouldn't have this problem. Am I wrong? Is the problem in rosetta, the hacked kernel, or something else? Now I haven't heard much from anyone about stability on the new intel macs, but Apple's software usually works, so I have a hard time believing that 10.4.4 on the new intel imac has problems with stability like I've had with 10.4.3. 10.4.3 intel was still a development version, but 10.4.4 is a release version, so I'm thinking it will be better.

Had not really an crash yet, not in safari nor toast or ilife stuff. would be nice to know on what hardware u run osx?

cu

I agree with what has been said by most the others, it is impossible for 10.4.4 to not be better then 10.4.3 simply based on the fact that it is a more mature build (not to mention that is the “Gold” release for OS X x86 from apple). It would be irrational given the fact that it is an actual Final shipping product as opposed to 10.4.3 which is a developer’s build. Either way, someone needs to get a hold of a 10.4.4 disk and image the sucker so that we can get it in the hands of the great devs we have here (most notably Maxxuss).

Slice

P.S. I find it very peculiar that all the developer disks leaked so quickly when they technically were not available to many people (aka Devs only) and the actual gold release witch is available to everyone and their brother is practically nonexistent on the “scene”. This is very peculiar considering that 10.4.4 is “in the open” and previous leaked developer versions were not.

Somebody should make a bit tar.bz2 from all the files on their intelMac hdd.

And then leak them.

Also, the restore DVD would be nice too...

I don't get it why suddenly it is so hard to get a thing that is worldwide available... :hysterical:

Trust me, no one wants to for some reason. It's not all that hard but NO ONE wants to leak it.

The question is WHY does no one want to leak it? Is there some super secret program that when you first boot one of the new iMacs runs, takes a picture of you with that nifty built in camera, and tells you your picture has now been sent to Apple and linked with a encrypted serial number on the DVD?

or....

Are you folks who have the cash to buy one of these nice new machines simply to lazy to help us poe' folk out?

The question is WHY does no one want to leak it? Is there some super secret program that when you first boot one of the new iMacs runs, takes a picture of you with that nifty built in camera, and tells you your picture has now been sent to Apple and linked with a encrypted serial number on the DVD?

or....

Are you folks who have the cash to buy one of these nice new machines simply to lazy to help us poe' folk out?

I..have..to...be...careful not to use wrong words here. :)

It is that simple:

As long as there is no 10.4.4, there will be no Vista for Mactel. Simply because the people that could handle

EFI don't want an IntelMac. :lol:

But I think everybody knows that. Some are maybe just afaid about what could happen, if they would be

caught seeding it. Just a few even knows what a bouncer or proxy is. We have to resepect that, not

everybody is 'scene' if you know what I mean. So lets just give a litte time for all, to disover their new

macs.

Also think about seeders and leechers, there are always less people on the important side.

There's been a rumor that said something like the OS has some kind of watermark in the installation and Apple could be able to know who is the owner of the copy that it's been seeding on the internet, i don't know to much about it but it can be possible.

There's been a rumor that said something like the OS has some kind of watermark in the installation and Apple could be able to know who is the owner of the copy that it's been seeding on the internet, i don't know to much about it but it can be possible.

I don't know how feasible that scenario is. If someone walks into a CompUSA, buys an iMac and pays cash. That person then THEORETICALLY (sure I screwed up the spelling on that one) gives false information when doing the intial boot registration. In that case how in the heck would Apple know who that image belongs to?! Hell even if you pay by credit card, pretty sure Apple can not just ask for the credit card companies for everyone's name and address. Other then voluntarilly giving Apple your information, I doubt there is anyway to match even a watermarked image to an actual person.

On the other hand if you want to pursue conspiracy theories then....Lets say Apple has a kext that runs at boot everytime. That kext connects to Apple over the net, sends your system watermark, verifies that you are currently the only system running with that watermark, then it sends your public IP to Apple. Apple then has its pack of lawyers viciously subponea every ISP in the country and find out exactly who those public IPs belonged to. Oh ho! Then lets say your on a network, say you access the net from college, well you know not every system on the network has a public IP, you are behind a firewall. Well in that case, Apple brings in the big guns! Steve Jobs himself will go to the campus IT building and sift through ALL the logs to track down this pilfered PC!

Course that is only if you believe in conspiracy theories....

This is 100% false.