new g5 case

maclust

12 posts in this topic

well i just got a new g5 case and am going to turn it into a pc, I know this has already been done. I have also read threw most of the threads regarding this. my question is has any one tried to mount the PSU where the hardrive cage is, and can it be done if they have i would love to know how, that way i can retain a full atx mobo. also there is so much room in the front of the case i will be making mounts for a 4 disk drive cage. any thoughts would be great,

If you took the actual cage out, it might be a very very tight squeeze. But looking at it with the cage in there, very little room in there...Measure the top of inside that case to under the harddrive cage. I can give you the measures of my current psu. I would say you can try to find a low profile psu, but if you're putting in 4 more drives, I don't think a low profile psu will power all of it. Let me look that up.

I would get measurements of it before I got out buying everything.

Here's what you might have to do. You might have to extend the drive cage space, but this would cut into the amount of open slots for the pci and or pcie slots. Which would severely limit you to maybe 1 open slot, as well as if you had a mobo that small to use. However, with the psu at the bottom, I'm sure you'd have more than enough room to fit the drives in, and keep the harddrive cage for more space.

BIG EDIT- Here's something you can do with your psu. You can put the psu at the bottom, if the psu doesn't fit, you can take the case off. Here's a good topic from someone who put their pc in a G5 case. This might help you some.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1074089

I can't find the link i am afraid but I have seen several pictures of a G5 with a regular atx psu up there. It appeared to fit fine but the metal divider had a hole cut for the psu fan to breathe.I was going to put mine up there but I like the cage too much, its really neat and I have room on the floor because I'm using matx mobo.

Edit: here it is http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=43287#

so i figured it out i'm going to keep the drive cage at the top still use an full size atx and cut out the back, but i think i'm going to try and arc weld the back plate in but i gotta talk to my friend about that lol. if it works out the way i want this will look very clean. i've decided to place the PSU at the fron of the case and extend the power connection to the back using a c13 to c14 cable, this should allow me to keep the power cable hole at the bottom, albeit i might have to grind it our a lil, it will be secured using a chemical donding agent we use on cars so that it dries clear and i can sand it for a clean look. because i don't have a front input panel i will be cutting out the current one and welding in or riveting in a replacement with a power button and activity lights as well as firewire usb and audio connections. umm i will try to get picks in as time progresses.

Which front panel are you missing? My case had the power button but was missing the firewire/usb/headphone. I was going to hack something together but they are on eBay USA for about $15! and I'm sure I've seen the button on there for peanuts too

Full kit : http://cgi.ebay.com/PowerMac-G5-Front-Pane...1QQcmdZViewItem

I/O Board : http://cgi.ebay.com/POWERMAC-G5-FRONT-PANE...VQQcmdZViewItem

Also I found the power entry hole is much bigger than the actual IEC socket, it will need a lot of filler. I'm still not sure how to mount mine in there.

well i don't expect nor want any one to think this is a mac, that would be blasphemous, lol. but i do want a stable platform and a nice solid case. as for the front input i will be making my own, as for the apple logo's on the side i havent decided. but my question is about the standoff's do we cut the off or is thier an easier way .

You can remove the standoffs with some pliers. Just bend them left and right, wiggle them and then they will pull out. Obviously don't bend them too much because you may create damage on the case panel outside.

• 2 weeks later...