ATI X1000 Cards in Leopard

aPpLeFrEaKpEePs

21 posts in this topic

Highlight of this method: NO ARTIFACTS

1. Edit the Info.plist of your ATIRadeonX1000.kext and ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin and add in your device id's.

Mine for example is 7100 (device id) and 1002 (Vendor ID) (You can get these from System Profiler)

In ATIRadeonX1000.kext it is added under the IOPCIPrimaryMatch section as

0x71001002

In ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin it is added in two places to Info.plist but now in the reverse order

Mine I added like

2. Now download IONDRVSupport.kext and ATINDRV.kext from Ramm's thread here (Useful files posted to the forum thread)

Edit the Info.plist of ATINDRV.kext and change

ATI,Wormy to display

IONDRVDevice to IOPCIDevice

3. Copy the kexts to your /System/Library/Extensions (As root, do sudo -s to get root)

Repair permissions

chmod -R 755 ATINDRV.kext

chown -R root:wheel ATINDRV.kext

chmod -R 755 IONDRVSupport.kext

chown -R root:wheel IONDRVSupport.kext

4. Delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext. Restart and boot with the -f flag.

You should now be able to change resolution, display depth and rotation in Display Preferences. System profiler should also report your total Video RAM correctly (512 MB here), and also show that you have QE/CI/CA enabled.

Very interesting discovery you have made here. It seems to hark back to another method, though I cannot quite recall the name of it but try this link.

boris badenov method

It seems to work as well in Leopard as in Tiger.

Also, for those of you using the pc-efi method, I might suggest following this link:

pc-efi with x1600

I recommend it for easily running your x1600 card in Leopard. But then, what do I know?

boris badenov

Yes it does work for X1400. Here is the Link to the page which has the necessary IONDRVSupport and ATINDRV kexts posted.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry239582

To boot with the -f flag just type -f at the LEOPARD partition entry in the Darwin boot loader. (I guess -f is automatic if you delete Extensions.mkext though becoz it needs to neways rebuild the kext metadata cache)

@boris

Sorry mate.. I agree this is the same as ur method. I used the Neophus 3.2 installer for the same in my earlier 10.4.6 install, and hence never really got around to know the internal details of your method. Just thought I'd post it, so that others may benefit and run Leo smoothly on their ATI cards.

Yes it does work for X1400. Here is the Link to the page which has the necessary IONDRVSupport and ATINDRV kexts posted.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry239582

Not in the way the majority of users want to use their X1400, I'm afraid. If they want to use an external monitor at all times, then it's fine. Because of the lack of LVDS support (detection of the LCD display) in the Caretta driver (ATI X1300/1400), they're stuck with a VESA mode display. QE/CI, however, is still functional.

To boot with the -f flag just type -f at the LEOPARD partition entry in the Darwin boot loader. (I guess -f is automatic if you delete Extensions.mkext though becoz it needs to neways rebuild the kext metadata cache)

Leopard has a few more caches lying around. I've noticed a few times that deleting Extensions.mkext doesn't do it entirely.

• 2 weeks later...

DUDE, I'm going to load up Kalyway's on a Dell 6400 this weekend and try your method, if this works, I will be eternally in your debt!!! :) This stupid X1400 is cursed, I'm convinced, and nothing so far has worked. Keep fingers crossed here...

On a side note, will updating break this? I got my x1950pro to work in 10.5 thanks to Bronya, but updating to 10.5.1 broke it. Will this method "stick" even with updating? I only ask because if this works, I'm blowing away XP on my mom's laptop and finally turning her loose with Leopard.

I tried this, and when I reboot I get nothing but the grey apple screen with the logo and the loading circular animation. I've tried with and without the -f flag upon boot. Anyone know what could have been wrong? I followed all the directions to the letter =[

Highlight of this method: NO ARTIFACTS

Well, I tried this with my Thinkpad T60, unfortunately equipped w mobility X1400; thanks to Kallyway I have a running 10.5.1 w working WLAN, Lan, Keyboard, Mouse, Bluetooth, Touchpad... working OOTB :-)

I've already installed languagepack and sounddriver so far no problem.

OK, now for Video drivers:

EDIT: <{censored} removed>

OK, now it's running... QE enabled again.

But: I still can't change resolution in system preferences, no 2nd video device (vga out), sleep is well for everything only the display stays bright and alive. Ah and of course I have mouse artifacts :wallbash:

And yes, I did everything as descibed :-)

I would really appreciate s.o. writing a running driver for the 'old' radeon mobility family :D

---

config: IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T60 1400x1050 native, ati radeon mobility x1400

Well, I tried this with my Thinkpad T60, unfortunately equipped w mobility X1400; thanks to Kallyway I have a running 10.5.1 w working WLAN, Lan, Keyboard, Mouse, Bluetooth, Touchpad... working OOTB :-)

I've already installed languagepack and sounddriver so far no problem.

OK, now for Video drivers:

EDIT: <{censored} removed>

OK, now it's running... QE enabled again.

But: I still can't change resolution in system preferences, no 2nd video device (vga out), sleep is well for everything only the display stays bright and alive. Ah and of course I have mouse artifacts :soldiers:

And yes, I did everything as descibed :-)

I would really appreciate s.o. writing a running driver for the 'old' radeon mobility family <_<

---

config: IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T60 1400x1050 native, ati radeon mobility x1400

Same here, Lenovo T60 with X1300. QE/CI working, no res change and mouse artifacts... almost there....

• 3 weeks later...

hi, i tried your method (along with many others) but it just doesnt work.

My card is a PowerColor x1600 Pro 512mb AGP. pci-id is 71CD1002.

First I install JAS 10.4.8 and tick only the Intel Kexts, everything boots fine after install but just no res change, ci and qe support. Then I follow your guide , reboot and i cant get back to my OS. Safe boot works thank God but thats it.

Anyone else got any other ideas?

Sunny