Apple emac booting problem

mpertz

4 posts in this topic

I recently installed a fresh copy of Tiger on my emac and after using it for a bit it turned off by itself and won't turn on unless I plug and un-plug the power cord a few times. Once it does turn on it always just goes to the open firmware screen and if I type "mac-boot" the emac hangs. I replaced the logic board battery and reset the PMU and still does the same thing. I also reset the nvram and did a "reset all" command, but no matter what I do it always brings me back to the open firmware screen and won't go past that. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this would be really appreciated.

I got it to boot into os x now. Every time I try to turn on the computer I have to press the power button quite a few times to get it to turn on. Once I get it turned on it always first has a long tone and the led flashes a few times and then goes into Open firmware automatically. I Replaced the pram battery and did a PMU reset and it didn't help. I also did a reset-nvram and rest-all in open firmware and it didn't do anything I also did the command-option-p-r on power up and that also did not do anything. The only way I can get into OS X is to power on, go into open firmware and type mac-boot and that now works after a reinstall of tiger. I'm completely out of ideas on what I can do to fix this. Please help.