Suggestion: Split up the forums

50 posts in this topic

Is it just me, or are the forums becoming too hard to navigate?

Every post I go through is difficult to discern whether it applies to OS X running on home-built x86 boxes or the new real Apple boxes.

Is there any way that the forums can be divided up, so that questions, posts, etc., that apply to that platform stay within that forum?

Just a suggestion, or am I alone in this opinion?

Good question - what does everyone think?

The way it's set up is that "OS X" is for general OS X talk while "OSx86 Installation" is for OSx86 specific. Keep in mind, though, that in a few months the versions will be the same, just running on different boxes.

Good question - what does everyone think?

The way it's set up is that "OS X" is for general OS X talk while "OSx86 Installation" is for OSx86 specific. Keep in mind, though, that in a few months the versions will be the same, just running on different boxes.

How about

OS X on Dull Little Boxes <= PC

OS X on Macs <= Apple branded PCs.

Seems like a logical move - most of the discussion for real macs will be about getting windows to play nice with efi, and most of the dull little box owners will be trying to get 10.4 to ignore EFI :-)

Good points. This is a pretty big move, so we'll need a lot of input on this one!

Just set up two new forums and get people to use them. Then only move existing posts as need be - i.e the very active ones from the old forum to the two new ones. Then you could just lock the old forum and keep it as a reference.

I don't think theres anyneed to go through all the current topics and move them - unless you were extremely bored of an evening...

i think that a splitup is not the way to go

this forum started as a forum on how to get osx working on a pc

owners of a real mac can use all the other forums available, there a plenty

so just keep things as they are

:blink:

BTW, if you decide that's what you want, any "splitting up" would just mean having two forums within the larger, OSx86 Project, forum.

So it wouldn't mean making a whole new site. Just in case there was some confusion.

BTW, if you decide that's what you want, any "splitting up" would just mean having two forums within the larger, OSx86 Project, forum.

So it wouldn't mean making a whole new site. Just in case there was some confusion.

I agree. If it's possible, just start another forum for the real Macs, and keep this one for the hackintoshes.

That's my $0.02 CDN ($0.0172 US)

I think the inclusion of a new forum for Intel Macs should suffice while leaving the other forums as they are there will still be many users who have problems with PC installs etc. and as it's been mentioned this is what OSX86project was set up for, otherwise it may make some users feel like they are out of the loop

Edited by Callysto

i don't think that splitting the forums is a good idea.

I have had no trouble identifying posts about real apple computers and our whitebox pcs, and the only hacking is temporary, until we get our hands on 10.4.4. once it'll all been hacked, sure drivers and tools will continue to be developed, but that does not interfere with people who went out and bought an intel mac.

keep it the way it is now, because very soon the platforms will be unified completely: and someone hacking osx86 for whitbox pcs may need to know things from a person with a new imac. So for the sake of simplicity, keep things as they currently are.

Those all seem like logical ideas...

IMO, I think the focus of the site should still stay on OSX running on x86 beige boxes. Chances are, people running OSX on their Apple branded x86's shouldn't really have any of the major hardware/software problems that beige users do. Like Takuro said, most people with Apple branded PC's will be trying to get windows to act all happy with EFI.

But I'm sure there will eventually be overlap, when people start trying to upgrade Apple hardware with standard PC hardware. Where will they go when they want to get generic graphic cards and other things working in their Macintel? They'll go to the beige box forum, and boundaries will start to get blurred again.

I say keep the forums the way they are, but add an extra sub to deal specifically with Apple Macintels. I did like Hagar's idea though of designating the type of PC with either a blue Apple or a Beige Apple. How hard would that be to integrate into the forums?

Edited by MrBond

Those all seem like logical ideas...

IMO, I think the focus of the site should still stay on OSX running on x86 beige boxes. Chances are, people running OSX on their Apple branded x86's shouldn't really have any of the major hardware/software problems that beige users do. Like Takuro said, most people with Apple branded PC's will be trying to get windows to act all happy with EFI.

But I'm sure there will eventually be overlap, when people start trying to upgrade Apple hardware with standard PC hardware. Where will they go when they want to get generic graphic cards and other things working in their Macintel? They'll go to the beige box forum, and boundaries will start to get blurred again.

I say keep the forums the way they are, but add an extra sub to deal specifically with Apple Macintels. I did like Hagar's idea though of designating the type of PC with either a blue Apple or a Beige Apple. How hard would that be to integrate into the forums?

Why not just start a new subforum for osx86 Homebrew, and osx86 Apple ? the only danger is that cross-posting could occur... perhaps a subforum for EFI related posts, as I think the key to that puzzle is more in the TPM than in the EFI... Apple reports to be following Intel standards in this, or they haven't provided ANY documentation as to how this works. What concerns me greatly is the time between properly documenting this 'feature' of the equipment I purchased, and who exactly is privy to the TPM information? Let's hear it for OPEN standards based computing that Apple was claiming to be such a proponent of. If this is a protectionist move on Apple's part to prevent dilution of their hardware business, I think it's a bit misguided.

<offtopicrant>

They can either provide full documentation or wait for the hacker that's pissed off enough to break out the logic probes and out what's going on in that module. Transparency is KEY for this type of secure computing operation. It can't be some smoke and mirrors, uh wait for the documentation while we stealth mode all of your data from you... you turned it on remember? that means you agree to our terms and conditions... blech corporate.

</offtopicrant>

more forums are good imho.

S.

Ok, more people seem to be for a split than aren't. Don't let that deter you if you disagree with them and want to say so (please do!), but this is a question for those who think we should add a new sub.

How would you organize the use of a new forum? Would you have two separate sections, each with Hardware, etc? Or would you have one forum like OS X with two sub forums inside it?

Edited by Mashugly

Split it up. It is much easier to find what you are looking for if it's split up with what hardware you have... if that makes any sense.

So:

OSX x86 Apple

OSX x86 PC

or,

Apple OSx86

Non-Apple Hardware OSx86

Hmmm, the names are going to be hard...

KublaKhan

I agree with Bond that, inevitably, there will come a point after 10.4.4 is hacked that both Apple and beige-box users will require a lot of things that overlap, especially when talking about drivers. There will be, however, times when both sides will have different needs, such as the beige-box users actively pursuing a crack for the next update of Tiger x86. When Leopard gets released in about 10 months, the split should be even greater.

I say don't make a whole new board, but instead create one forum for OS X hacks for beige-box PCs. Something that strictly deals with TPM cracks and whatnot, only because those are definitively topics that would never concern somebody with an official Apple computer.

OS X for Macs

OS X for Dull Little Boxes

:dev: