Leopard won't let me resize partitions

Kevin Sherman

6 posts in this topic

Hey o, again...

I have been trying, to no avail, to resize my hard drive partitions to install BootCamp 2.0 (need to play some games!). Every way I have tried, I have been met with failure...

If I use the BootCamp utility to resize, it tells me:

w119253075.png

(as a note, there is lots of free space on the drive, about 40GB and am making a 17GB partition)

If I use the Disk Utility to create or resize partitions:

w119253081.png

and this happens:

w119253078.png

This happens for any HD resize, I tried making a 30GB partition on my 500GB drive that has about 90GB free (before partition resize).

As I mentioned in another thread, I am probably going to do a reformat and reinstall of OS X, but I would rather fiz this issue than start over.

Thanks!

Hi,

if i understand right, you will format your osx drive so that you have 2 Partitions. For example one for osx and one for windows. The answer is defrag the osx partition. That's what i did. The Problem here is that it is not so easy. The way i choose was to download a tool called "Coriolis CD Maker" and than you can create a boot DVD from the Internet. I choose system 10.4.9 for my Leo. The dvd has a copy of idefrag on it. You must have a registered copy of idefrag!!! I think a other solution is to boot up another mac, with your mac in targed mode. So that the other mac can mount your partition. With i defrag only the full defrag is a solution. With the "quick online defrag" it would not go.

hope it helps.....

Hi,

if i understand right, you will format your osx drive so that you have 2 Partitions. For example one for osx and one for windows. The answer is defrag the osx partition. That's what i did. The Problem here is that it is not so easy. The way i choose was to download a tool called "Coriolis CD Maker" and than you can create a boot DVD from the Internet. I choose system 10.4.9 for my Leo. The dvd has a copy of idefrag on it. You must have a registered copy of idefrag!!! I think a other solution is to boot up another mac, with your mac in targed mode. So that the other mac can mount your partition. With i defrag only the full defrag is a solution. With the "quick online defrag" it would not go.

hope it helps.....

Thanks for the tip!

Question: for iDefrag, do I need to boot from a CD, or can I do it from within OS X? I don't really have access to another Mac until I go back to school.

Okay, defraged and beginning the XP install process! Thanks a bundle for the help congomaster!

Took some fenangling to get a partition for Windows though, lame. I though Macs were just supposed to work! I think the motto should be Macs: They Just Work.. Except When They Don't.

Anyway, now to gaming!

tris the following method:

i'm sorry for my poor english.there's a way to make you a system partition than 15 g.first,you should create 2 partitions.off course ,one should be HFS+.then,install leopard system to the HFS+ partition.at this time,your system partition should be about 15g(assuming you had installed the LEOPARD-X86-FLAT one using the dd method).it doesn't matter.open the terminal,iput the following line of command:

sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" Larger disk0s1 disk0s2

in the line of command,Larger will be your new created partition's name.instead the disk0s1 of the partition you want to reserve.disk0s2 is the the one that will be merged to the disk0s1.after you run the command,you will get a partition named Larger(someone told me so,but that's not the finally name of mine).you've tried the mergePartitions method? that works for me.you've tried the mergePartitions method? that works for me