10.5.1 Update Killed Leopard

finebykris

20 posts in this topic

I just installed 10.5.1 off of software update.

and now...

when i boot up i get to the darwin bootloader, and instead of getting the white screen witht eh apple, it just instantly reboots.

PLEASE tell me i can fix this without wiping and reinstalling... please

i havent installed efi? im not even sure what it is.

my cpu is core2duo e6400 and my mobo is an asus p5b-deluxe

btw i had leo running for awhile

just he 10.5.1 update created the issue )(if i didnt make it clear already)

Thats why, if you want to install updates from software update then you have to install PC EFI.

Do you have an external hardrive or another tiger/leopard instal attached to that computer?

Your processor can handle PC EFI.

PC EFI is just an EFI emulation so that hackintosh's can run unmodified kernels.

i have a usb drive, an internal sata ntfs drive (with important stuff, i cant reformat it.), an internal sata drive running vista. dvd drives both ata and usb.

thats all i have access to.

how can I fix this?

i do not however have another leo/tiger installation.

if possible i would like to not use the usb drive, since its not with me, and i need this up and running asap.

Thank you soo much for your help.

I just installed 10.5.1 off of software update.

and now...

when i boot up i get to the darwin bootloader, and instead of getting the white screen witht eh apple, it just instantly reboots.

PLEASE tell me i can fix this without wiping and reinstalling... please

I had the same problem. To fix it you need to rerun the brazilmac patch.

You can try to run the patch again(the same thing you did at the installation of leo). To be more specific, boot from dvd, run 9a581PostPatch, I assume you still have it. This will replace the kernel and all the kexts needed. If not, try this links:

http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/734/howt...-in-hackintosh/

http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/658/howt...ot-setup-guide/

The second one is for leo install, the first one is for PC EFI, you get more answers there.

Good Luck!

You don't have to boot in leo or in tiger, you boot from leopard installation DVD, and then follow the steps you did when you installed leopard for the first time. The steps are very well described in the link I provided. It seems that you don't have a usb flash, in this case I suggest you put the folder "files" on a cd and name the cd 123, I never tried that, though.Sorry, in the situation you are now, you can try to apply the EFI patch, it should work with the kernel you already upgraded. Still, you will need to boot as a single user, using the patched kernel.

There are 2 ways to do the efi patch. One is if you have backed-up your patched kernel from the installation patch folder(files). In your case, you don't have it and you don't have the folder called iamefi. The instructions at the link I gave are reffering to a working leopard. So, the other solution availlable now is to try to apply the efi patch using installation DVD and a usb flash. The method is this:

1. Put the folder pc_efi_v51 on a fat 32 formatted usb flash drive. Format the usb in windows and name it 123.

2. Boot from Leo DVD

3. Go to Utilities, Disk Utility

4. Unmount The drive where you have the Leo Installed (make sure that your usb drive is connected and seen as "123" in the list of drives in the left)

5. exit the Disk Utility and open Terminal.

6. Type "cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v51" (without quotes)

7. Type "./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v5"(without quotes)

in the rdiskXsY, "x" is the number of drive, in most cases is 0, unles you have more then one drive on your computer, and "y" is the number of partition where you have leopard installed. I hope you can figure that out. As a help, first drive is 0, second drive is 1, etc. First partition on one drive is 1, second is 2, etc.

8. After this, you should see a message like HFS reading..... etc, then you reboot. Hope will work. It should, unless you have other kext issues...

download pc_efi and follow the very simple instructions in the readme. You cannot use the brazilmac kernel with efi though, you will need to replace mach_kernel with the stock apple kernel or the ToH kernel.

This is why its so good to have Macdrive installed on your windows partition, so you can add and replace files without needing a working install of OS X or dealing with terminal.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question...maybe somone can help.

Finally got 10.5 installed after like 6 weeks of trying...

EFI V8

GUID

10.5 ToH (had kernel panic after install...so I replaced kernel following instructions here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;mode=threaded even though I don't have this computer, this trick worked for me)

I then tried to update with 10.5.1 by downloading the 10.5.1 update from Apple Website, but after running the update my computer starts to boot but then resets and reboots, over, and over, and over...

Any help? Sorry, I'm a bit dense....

Thanks!

/mdg.