Slow IDE (PATA) Performance

itsalok4u

8 posts in this topic

I successfully installed leopard on my evga 680i motherboard. Installed macFuse + ntfs-3g, so that I can write to my SATA drives. While reading or writing to SATA drvies the performance quiet fast. But whenever i try to access my IDE(PATA) drive on which the Leopard is installed, to move or copy huge data or to install programs, performance of the system drops drastically. I have a very fast CPU C2D Q6800 @ 3.2Ghz. But whenever the IDE is accessed kernel_task utilizes almost all CPU power and most of my 4GB ram and performance drops badly. Can not even browse safari with some decent speed at that time. I know it has something to do with my IDE device id not being in some of the kexts. But I dont know how to find the device id and in which kexts I would have to modify info.list and what exactly needs to be added there.

Please guys help.

I know it has something to do with my IDE device id not being in some of the kexts. But I dont know how to find the device id and in which kexts I would have to modify info.list and what exactly needs to be added there.

I ran into a similar problem more than a year ago when I had a mobo with a VIA chipset, so I had to enter the device ID for the ide interface in the AppleVIAATA.kext. I suggest that you look for a kext with "ATA" in it, and that matches your mobo's chipset.

As for finding out the device ID for your IDE interface, you could try using SysRescueCD, a live Linux CD. Burn the ISO to a CD, boot your computer with it, then from the command line, type lspci<enter>. It will list the device ID's of several devices on your motherboard. One of the device IDs listed will be for your IDE interface. I don't know of a Mac way of finding the device id.

I ran into a similar problem more than a year ago when I had a mobo with a VIA chipset, so I had to enter the device ID for the ide interface in the AppleVIAATA.kext. I suggest that you look for a kext with "ATA" in it, and that matches your mobo's chipset.

As for finding out the device ID for your IDE interface, you could try using SysRescueCD, a live Linux CD. Burn the ISO to a CD, boot your computer with it, then from the command line, type lspci<enter>. It will list the device ID's of several devices on your motherboard. One of the device IDs listed will be for your IDE interface. I don't know of a Mac way of finding the device id.

This is the output I got when I ran lspci command. I cannot figure out where the device id is. Help please.

alok@AloksUbuntu:~$ lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation C55 Host Bridge (rev a2)

00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a2)

00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:01.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:01.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:01.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:01.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:01.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:01.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:02.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:02.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:02.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:03.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C55 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)

00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 LPC Bridge (rev a2)

00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SMBus (rev a2)

00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a1)

00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a2)

00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 IDE (rev a1)

00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)

00:0e.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)

00:0e.2 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)

00:0f.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI bridge (rev a2)

00:0f.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

00:11.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)

00:12.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G80 [GeForce 8800 GTX] (rev a2)

02:09.0 Class ff00: AGEIA Technologies, Inc. Physics Processing Unit [PhysX]

02:0a.0 PCI bridge: Hint Corp HB6 Universal PCI-PCI bridge (non-transparent mode) (rev 11)

03:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)

03:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)

Thank you.

This is the output I got when I ran lspci command. I cannot figure out where the device id is. Help please.

I'm sorry, I should have specified that you should type lspci -nn --- The -nn option lists the vendor and device ID. The output should be something like:

00:0f.1 IDE interface [0101]: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE [
1106:0571
] (rev 06)

The key numbers above are highlighted in bold. The first set of numbers (1106) is the vendor ID, while the second set of numbers (0571) is the device code. In the Mac universe, and how its entered in the pertinent Info.plist is like this 0x05711106.

I'm sorry, I should have specified that you should type lspci -nn --- The -nn option lists the vendor and device ID. The output should be something like:

00:0f.1 IDE interface [0101]: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE [
1106:0571
] (rev 06)

The key numbers above are highlighted in bold. The first set of numbers (1106) is the vendor ID, while the second set of numbers (0571) is the device code. In the Mac universe, and how its entered in the pertinent Info.plist is like this 0x05711106.

Thank you. I got the Vendor Id:Device Id (10de:036e). Do you know which key I will have to add in AppleNForceATA.kext's info.plist with what string and value pair. That is the last step remaining.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Thank you. I got the Vendor Id:Device Id (10de:036e). Do you know which key I will have to add in AppleNForceATA.kext's info.plist with what string and value pair. That is the last step remaining.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Figured out how to add it. Its working great now. Thanks a lot for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

HI itsalok4u and zoomie,

I am facing the same problem with my Seagate 160gb IDE HD.

MOBO:ASUS M2N-E NForce 570 Chipset.

So i did as u did and changed my AppleNforceATA.kext(which was not there in System/library/extensions/ by default),so i copied it there and changed the device id.

But during boot it says failed to load AppleNforceATA.kext(in yellow colour) and continues with the boot... please tell me what i am doing wrong.. ami using the correct id ??etc etc...

Thanks in advance ..

Sue,