Basic Install / Setup Question

New to Mac

8 posts in this topic

Hello:

As my user id suggests, I am new to Mac. I have a new MacBook 13" and am very pleased. My work entails some programs that will not operate under Mac OS, so I use Boot Camp to boot to Windows Vista (Ultimate version). In the office, I use a Logitech keyboard that allows me access to the forward delete key. For times when I am using the MacBook keyboard, I have tried to install Input Remapper to allow fn-delete to give me a forward delete key. (Apple support says the Boot Camp keyboard driver should do the same, but it does not on my machine.) My problem is that Input Remapper installs fine, but does not give me fn-delete as forward delete functionality. I am probably missing something basic, so please forgive me, but any help would be much appreciated.

For your information, I can install and I get an Input Remapper tray icon that shows four choices, but I never get a configuration wizard and cannot see a remapping table with any content.

Thank you.

Hello:

As my user id suggests, I am new to Mac. I have a new MacBook 13" and am very pleased. My work entails some programs that will not operate under Mac OS, so I use Boot Camp to boot to Windows Vista (Ultimate version). In the office, I use a Logitech keyboard that allows me access to the forward delete key. For times when I am using the MacBook keyboard, I have tried to install Input Remapper to allow fn-delete to give me a forward delete key. (Apple support says the Boot Camp keyboard driver should do the same, but it does not on my machine.) My problem is that Input Remapper installs fine, but does not give me fn-delete as forward delete functionality. I am probably missing something basic, so please forgive me, but any help would be much appreciated.

For your information, I can install and I get an Input Remapper tray icon that shows four choices, but I never get a configuration wizard and cannot see a remapping table with any content.

Thank you.

The Hardware ID of you keyboard is probably new and not recognized by Input Remapper. Please check the ID in Device Manager (Keyboards->HID Keyboard Device->Details->Hardware IDs) and report it. I will include it in the next version. I also need to know your type of keyboard. Japanese, ISO (a key between left shift and z) or American (no key between left shift and z)

The Hardware ID of you keyboard is probably new and not recognized by Input Remapper. Please check the ID in Device Manager (Keyboards->HID Keyboard Device->Details->Hardware IDs) and report it. I will include it in the next version. I also need to know your type of keyboard. Japanese, ISO (a key between left shift and z) or American (no key between left shift and z)

Thank you for the information. I have pasted below the entire entry from (Keyboards->HID Keyboard Device->Details->Hardware IDs):

HID\VID_05AC&PID_0229&REV_0004&MI_00

HID\VID_05AC&PID_0229&MI_00

HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_KEYBOARD

HID_DEVICE_UP:0001_U:0006

HID_DEVICE

Also, I have the American keyboard, with no key between left shift and z.

Have a good day.

Thank you for the information. I have pasted below the entire entry from (Keyboards->HID Keyboard Device->Details->Hardware IDs):

HID\VID_05AC&PID_0229&REV_0004&MI_00

HID\VID_05AC&PID_0229&MI_00

HID_DEVICE

Also, I have the American keyboard, with no key between left shift and z.

Have a good day.

Thank you, I will add these device IDs to the next version. If you cannot wait you could search for PID_0217 in InputRemapper.x86.exe (or InputRemapper.x64.exe if you are running 64 bit os) with a hex editor and replace it with PID_0229.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you, I will add these device IDs to the next version. If you cannot wait you could search for PID_0217 in InputRemapper.x86.exe (or InputRemapper.x64.exe if you are running 64 bit os) with a hex editor and replace it with PID_0229.

Thank you for the information and for this useful software.

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem. My Macbooks keyboard is probably not recognized by Input Remapper. My PID is PID_022A. Can anyone help me with hex edit InputRemapper.x86.exe ? I dont know anything about hex editors. Any help would be really appreciated!

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if this is the same problem I have, but pretty much I can't seem to find the Wizard option at all. I used to use the Wizard config to rearrange the bottom left keys (fn, ctrl, alt, apple).

I used Input Remapper v1.03 (I think) before on my 2nd gen MBP, but on my new 4th gen (the newest one with the black-keyboard) MBP, the Wizard option is nowhere to be found on v1.04. When I right click the Input Remapper icon, I only get 4 options:  Configure, Mac Book Setting, Enable Remapping, and Quit.

My MBP has a standard American keyboard. Here is my device ID:

HID\VID_05AC&PID_0236&REV_0077&MI_00&Col01

HID\VID_05AC&PID_0236&MI_00&Col01

HID_DEVICE

I'm running Windows Vista Business Edition Service Pack 1.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

similar problem: I have a new macbook with bootcamp, installed the latest version of the Remapper, and it doesn't work, though the icon does appear. Will this help:

Device instance ID: HID\VID_05AC&PID_0236&MI_00&COL01\8&298F9D65&0&0000

Hardware IDs:

HID\Vid_05ac&Pid_0236&Rev_0090&MI_00&Col01

HID\Vid_05ac&Pid_0236&MI_00&Col01

HID_DEVICE

Thanks.

Hi,

similar problem: I have a new macbook with bootcamp, installed the latest version of the Remapper, and it doesn't work, though the icon does appear. Will this help:

Device instance ID: HID\VID_05AC&PID_0236&MI_00&COL01\8&298F9D65&0&0000

Hardware IDs:

HID\Vid_05ac&Pid_0236&Rev_0090&MI_00&Col01

HID\Vid_05ac&Pid_0236&MI_00&Col01

HID_DEVICE

Thanks.