Who is using a firewire based interface?

trance4jim

30 posts in this topic

I'm interested in building a hackintosh for the price/power.

I've built pc's before and modified xboxes.This seems interesting.

I'm still very new to the mac scene.I own a intel imac.2gb max ram though.

The problem=

I still can't find anyone with a m-audio firewire device on osx86.

I own the Ozonic and need to be able to use this on the new system.

I need to choose a mobo with 1394 and must be 45nm ready.

Most importantly must be stable.

I plan on using Reason 4, Protools M-Powered and maybe Logic 8.

Any suggestions or input on

using firewire interfaces with osx86???

:wacko:

I responded to your other post as well. My firewire works fine on both of my machines (see specs below). I have an Ozonic and a Mackie 16 channel Onyx/firewire mixer. Although I have not recorded with either of them, out put has been without issue. I added a firewire card to my desktop and it was one that was listed on the Digidesign website as being compatible. I am not at my desktop now, but I am pretty sure it is a Siig PCI 400. It has 3 ports on it and all three work fine and I had to do no moding to get them to work. I also hook my two firewire external hard drives to those ports and they seem to not have a problem. Sorry no info about recording, but I am pretty sure if you can put together a machine with decent compatible hardware, you would be fine.

I use a Presonus Firebox that works great in OS X with Logic 8 Studio. Its small and portable so its perfect for me in that I can use it on my desktop at home or take it on the road with my laptop, the Firepod is probably a better value if portability is not a concern for you.

Thanks everyone! I really do appreciate the input.I think I'm ready to make the jump.

I currently have a imac 17" 2.0ghz cd2 with 1gb ram.Its limited to 2gb so thats why I plan on

upgrading.I will fund this buy selling my imac.

Is there any issue with having 4gbs of ram in osx or xp?

Hi,

i use MOTO828 with no problems. :)

10.4.10. Logic 8

Greets,

Rubel

I have your firewire card but sometime it crashed! It also have terrible bug :logic cpu meter go over when CPU go 50%., and Idle 50%. :)

Installed on :10.4.9 r3 upHuck,

Mobo: p4c800

CPU: pentium4, 3Ghz, Hyper Threading tecnology Northwood compatible SSE2

1Mb ram

video card: 5200Fx

YOU what system do U have?

i use a motu 828mk2 too ( with a presonus firestation adat module )

worked like a charm on 10.4.8 JaS & now on Leo ToH :(, i can record 18 input at the same time (24bit) + a lot of vsti s & effects running

i use ableton mostly though i v done some tests on logic & everything seems to work fine

my system is an intel coreduo2 EE6600 with a gigabyte GA965P-DQ6, 2GB DRR2 PC6400 STT, MSI geforce 7600 GS

i had many pb with those upHuck dvd s have u tried with a JaS s one ?

I've tried jas 10.4.8 before installing uphuck 10.4.9 but the I've the same problem on logic, cpu goes 50% then logic cpu meter goes over,

I I never hear Leo ToH version, you mean 10.5 ???

I have also a jas you mean that I can solve my problem upgrating to 10.4.10?

thanks

If you're doing mostly Software based production and have no other outboard gear I can recommend the FA-66. After spending ages looking for drivers for it on the OSX platform I gave up and just plugged it in. Works out of the box, on 10.4.9 anyway :( No problems with any audio apps that i've tried. Reason, Logic 8, Logic 7.2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

I’ve got a hiccup problem with my Presonus FirePod (via firewire). For a quarter of a second my sound drops out in Logic Express 8.0.1 and iTunes. I haven’t tried it in Garage Band yet. I’ve tried isolating the issue and it seems to be 10.5.x, hackintosh and a firewire problem. I can play back a project / music / sound fine from an iMic and from internal sound but when I use the firewire/FirePod the dropout is there. It is an irregular drop out, might be 30 seconds to an hour between dropouts.

I’ve tried on 2 hackintoshes (specs in sig) and my G4 duel 1gig. The hackies both hiccup, the G4 doesn’t. Also 10.4.9 works fine on the hackies but 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 doesn’t. Fortunately, I kept a 10.4.9 HD on both hackies so I’m still up and running but... it would sure be nice to figure out this problem.

Also, I just tried a firewire camera on one of the hackies with 10.5.3 and it worked fine. Seems to be just the FirePod (or core audio or....)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Khan

• 1 month later...

hello i have a asus g1s ak092c with a hackintosh kalyway 10.5.2 leopar and a dual boot with xp with logic 8 and final cut installed and thats great

for the moment my prjectmix io m audio is not recognized in 10.5.2 but there are some kernel for 10.5.3 for intel on the m audio networkdriver so i hope i ll found pilotes for 10.5.2 or a combo update witch work

i tell you before

but some friend have the same configuration on macbook and logic reason and final cut seems t obe better one asus g1s so if you forget the work to do for installing logic 8 on a g1s its better but if you want a proper solution you will need 1000 euro more to get a real macbook pro

looooool

bye