patch leopard to upgrade tiger?

mluu510

11 posts in this topic

I am new to the OSx86 leopard installation. I have a home built PC running Tiger 10.4.5 very good - everything works. As I read this post, and it is probably posted, but I can't find - Can I use my store bought version of Leopard to upgrade my OSx86 machine?

I would also like to know this cause I have Tiger 10.4.10 currently installed on my laptop and have a Leopard install disk. So all I would do is install over my current installation? Would I need to apply any patches afterwards?

I have said this many many many times. But ill say it once more:

Pc's Use ISO's for bootable DVD/CD, like vista and windows CD/DVD's are ISO. But Apple uses DMG for the bootable DVD's(and im some rare cases .cdr), since that is in their firmware to boot from that when the cmnd is is pressed and the DVD is inserted and present.

With that said, No you cannot just put a dvd in with out any patching. To get the .DMG off the disk use this method:

Put the DVD in wait for the finder to show it in the desktop

Now open disk utility, Go>Utilities>Disk Utility.

Click on the dvd on the left panel.

Select New Image

Select to save it to where ever you want then click save.

It will now extract the .DMG off the disk so you can now patch the DMG to work on a hackintosh.

You can use brazilmacs method this way

i am me,

Thanks! That is what I thought (knew). I haven't been around these boards in awhile, since I installed Maxxus' 10.4.5 a long time ago. Will brazilmacs method do an update or a will it be a new install?

If you install the EFI bootloader and have a core duo or better processor you can update from software update

i am me,

Thanks! That is what I thought (knew). I haven't been around these boards in awhile, since I installed Maxxus' 10.4.5 a long time ago. Will brazilmacs method do an update or a will it be a new install?

You can update your system if you don't have any extra languages, x11 or fonts on your system. Brazilmac will try to reinstall them and give you an error message. If you uninstall these things or don't have them to start with, Brazilmac will update your system as long as you don't erase your partition on install. As the previous poster mentioned, if you want to do system updates after your initial install, you'll have to load the EFI bootloader and the vanilla kernel. Works great.