Problems with Leopard and Parallels 3.0

24 posts in this topic

Ok, so I got my Leopard installation up and running a few days ago, and so far I've had almost no problems using my softwares with this new OS, but I have come across some issues with Parallels.

I installed the app, and immediately after installation I noticed the system started lagging tremendously. Every 5 seconds or so the screen seemed to just freeze up then unfreeze a second later. Now keep in mind I hadn't even launched Parallels yet. Launching the app only seemed to make matters worse. So I decided to reboot the machine, but the same issues were still present. Finally, I decided to uninstall Parallels, and immediately those problems went away.

Has anyone else tried using Parallels within Leopard? Are there known compatibility issues? I'm kinda leaning towards the virtual NIC adapters Parallels installs could have something to do with it. Please respond. Thanks.

Ok, so I got my Leopard installation up and running a few days ago, and so far I've had almost no problems using my softwares with this new OS, but I have come across some issues with Parallels.

I installed the app, and immediately after installation I noticed the system started lagging tremendously. Every 5 seconds or so the screen seemed to just freeze up then unfreeze a second later. Now keep in mind I hadn't even launched Parallels yet. Launching the app only seemed to make matters worse. So I decided to reboot the machine, but the same issues were still present. Finally, I decided to uninstall Parallels, and immediately those problems went away.

Has anyone else tried using Parallels within Leopard? Are there known compatibility issues? I'm kinda leaning towards the virtual NIC adapters Parallels installs could have something to do with it. Please respond. Thanks.

Your not alone. I am too having the same problem. I do noticed that it has to do with my edimax pci wireless n card. Because, If I hard wire to my router everything is fine, but when I open parallels 5540 with my wireless n pci card. I get a kernel panic or parallels locks my computer. I didn't have these problems with the same wireless pci n card w/Tiger.

I can confirm the same issue, (on a Pentium D920/Gigabyte 945 motherboard/ EFI_v3/ Netkas kernel) but not on a mac...

Does anyone also get the problem with "could not allocate memory PE" or similar when trying to open a VM? (I notice that one is mentioned on the parallels support forum as a known issue, but no one over there has mentioned the slow down)

I wonder if this is something to do with the virtual networking? - as mentioned above it starts as soon as the parallels app. (and kexts) are installed. I might have to try disabling one kext at a time to work out which is causing the issue.

If you want to check it out/confirm the problem, open activity monitor - you will see the Kernel task going to 90-100% CPU every 2-3 seconds and on my machine it alternates between the two CPU cores for some reason...

... any help appreciated. (and anyone who has this on a real mac - let us know!)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much to contribute to this thread yet other than to say it happens to me too. Pentium D, 945 chipset. I didn't try this, but I had wondered if it was somehow related to USB. I am using a USB mouse and keyboard, but I didn't try my PS/2 ports.

5570 was the version I tried, and had those problems.

FWIW I am working in VMware Fusion right now, and I am not experiencing any of these kinds of problems. VMware Workstation on Windows and Linux was a very mature product and I used it all the time. But their Fusion program was a little late coming to the Mac game, which is why I have been a die-hard Parallels user for a long time. But after trying out the latest version of Fusion today, I have to say that the product has come a LONG way! I actually would recommend it over Parallels at this point in time.

I have a problem where i can't even install Parallels, says i don't have the Sys requirements, but i do.

Looks like you got an AMD processor. All you need to do is make a copy of the installer disk, and then edit the info. Close to the bottom you'll see it checks for GenuineIntel, just switch that to AuthenticAMD, save, and then run the installer off your copy.

I say you need to make a copy since I couldn't actually edit the original file. If you know how, then by all means do it. I am still an OS X noob.

Well problem im getting with parallels since i was using tiger 10.4.9 is that when i install it my mouse goes nuts stopping and starting you know like little pauses and then when i try to install windows it does 1 off 2 things depending on wether its 5570 or 5580 itll either tell me power off comp or keep going in a sort off loop back the start off a windows installation were you would pick new so to be honest i gvae up wid parallels even tho its better than fusion nvm ey

I'm using Parallels build 3170 with Leopard on my Mac Pro and it's running the same as it did under Tiger. The only difference I can spot is that the icons in Coherence mode no longer appear properly in my OSX dock.

Just tried the final Leopard build, 5582, and I still have the same freezing issues. VMware Fusion has been working very well for me, though.

Edit: I don't know if this means anything to anyone, but I just tried one of my Vista virtual machines with 2 CPUs enabled, and I started having the freezing issues just like with Parallels, so maybe that has something to do with it. When I just had a single CPU enabled in the VM, I didn't have any problems.

same problem here. i also notice after opening a vm the problem goes away. i believe it has to do with vt-x. i have pentium d without vt support so i think when OSX boots the parallels kexts load with vt-x on but after i open my vm it shuts it off.

anyway that someone know to have parallels kexts load with vt-x off?

• 5 weeks later...

I also have a pentium D (Dell GX620). I upgraded to bios A11 which supports VT-X. I confirmed VT-X is enabled because parallels told me VT-X was detected and asked whether I want to enable it.

I enable it and the stutter stops until I reboot the box. Once I reboot the box I have to go through the same process to stop the stutter.

Parallels.

Every 5 seconds or so the screen seemed to just freeze up then unfreeze a second later. Now keep in mind I hadn't even launched Parallels yet. Launching the app only seemed to make matters worse. So I decided to reboot the machine, but the same issues were still present. Finally, I decided to uninstall Parallels, and immediately those problems went away.

*** Here is how I partially solve this annoying problem:

In activity monitor, one can clearly saw that Paralells 3 is jumping from one core to another (why is so, I do not know - perhaps they wanted to make similar thermal load on both cores).

Confirmation in syslog: an 19 07:06:29 aeroflot kernel[0]: [Parallels] IPI stat: rescheduled 1 cpus out of 2.

Removing vmmain.kext from kernel does not solving anything because Paralells requires this kext to be loaded in order to work!

1. Specify cpus=1 at darwin boot loader prompt. This will resolve "core jumping" problem. The system will work with reduced performance, but since Paralells is still unable to use multiple cores, it might be less painful.

2. Try to avoid automatic loading of vmmain.kext during system startup when you boot both cores, or better, you can load vmmain manually when you want to work with Parallels 3.

Hope it helps - works for me!

Regards,

blagec

Sys details:

Parallels 3, build 5584 on ToH RC2 Leopard updated to 10.5.1

Pentium D 915, Asus P5PL2/C i945

VT-x is not available on CPU #0

Darwin aeroflot.local 9.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.1.0: Fri Nov 16 14:50:43 SCT 2007; made by ToH:xnu-1228.0.2~1/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

• 3 months later...