Unable to Install XP With Disk; Need Workaround

C.J.

2 posts in this topic

My little brother recently returned a very scratched up windows disc to me thus making it next to impossible to install boot camp. However, off of a student (100% legal/pay-per-download) download site, I was able to get a Windows .iso file. No my only problem is I have a macbook with a combo drive, making it impossible to burn Windows to a disc. So my question is, would it be possible to boot off of a usb thumbdrive to install Windows to a boot camp partition if I copied all the Windows files over? I have already made the partition and have tried MANY different attempts just resulting in frustration..

Thanks in advance,

Chris

If you make the partition FAT32 and copy Windows Setup files to it (at least the I386 folder), you may be able to boot from a DOS boot CD, such as Win98, then change to the I386 folder and run WINNT.EXE.

I can't say for sure whether this would work, but it's an idea. Hopefully you can get a hold of such a CD.

I assume if you had access to a machine with a burner, you would have burned your ISO already. Also, I don't know if you can find an external burner and use that on the MacBook (even a regular 5.25" drive and a USB <-> PATA/SATA interface).