Booting Leopard from USB HDD

crampedson

14 posts in this topic

I happen to have a motherboard which doesn't support booting from a USB hard disk (At least I couldn't find any way!). I've therefore tried to hunt down a boot floppy or CD which can recognise and boot the hard disk. I've had no luck and was wondering if there is such a bootdisk or if there is some other solution. So close to Leopard goodness. :)

Motherboard: Asus P4PE

Internal HDD: 36gb SATA WD Raptor (Vista)

Mac OS X Leopard by ToH on external USB HDD

Oh man, I think I have one of those mobos sitting in storage somewhere. I'd be shocked if anyone could get Leopard, or even Tiger installed on a mobo that is at least 5 yrs old. I should keep an eye on this thread.

The motherboard is in my first post and the bios is version 1007, the latest possible. I've scoured the BIOS menus but nothing.

Go on your motherboard website support to see if there is a way to enable USB boot.

By the way search in your bios menus and try to enable

-Multiboot (of course)

-USB Legacy

Then reboot one time, enter your bios setup again and in the boot list choice you should find USB.

Of course depending your bios...

Good luck.

I'm having a similar problem to this guy. I just installed the Uphuck 10.4.9 1.4i release on an external HDD and it all went fine except it hung up when it was supposed to restart at the end of the install, don't know if that means it's not talking to the mobo right or something. I told my BIOS to boot the USB HDD, it found it alright, had the name and everything, but it just doesn't boot from it and jumps past it to the Vista boot on my main HDD, even when I select it from the boot options menu manually on startup. I didn't think I had to be using these boot loader things cos I wasn't dual-booting but is there something more that the Uphuck release doesn't automatically do in regards to booting?

I restored the leopard dmg to the first partitoin of my USB drive and I could boot my PC off it but I had to type in rd=disk2s1

for me disk 0 is HD, disk 1 is CD, disk 2 is USB. Thus disk2s1 for usb partition 1.

I installed leopard to partion 2 and that worked fine aswell.