OSX won't detect hard drive on install (or in disk utility)

str33t_addikt

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm very new to this stuff and there's probably an answer on this forum already for what I'm going to ask but I've been searching for a couple days now with no success so I've given up and decided to do the noob thing and post so the answer can come to me...

My hard drive isn't being detected by OSX (Tiger 10.4.10) and I've tried several combinations of formatting the HD to FAT32, HFS+, even tried Unallocated, tried every option under both GUID and MBR, etc etc... I know most people are suggesting formatting it as HFS+ under GUID, and no luck. My computer specs are as follows....

Both hard drives are SATA, my vista drive is a 500gb Seagate, and the one I'm trying to install OSX on is an 80gb Samsung.

Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard

2GB (1GB x 2 sticks) Transend PCS5400 667Mhz ram

ATI Radeon HD 2400XT video card

Intel E6750 2.67Ghz Duo Core processor

Is there a hardware conflict...something I'm not doing right or something I'm missing...Or am I just too tired and dumb to see there's an obvious solution here?

I've read people have been suggesting swapping for an IDE drive, but there has to be people having success with SATA drives...so I don't think that's the problem (though I could very well be wrong)

I apologize to all of those who have answered this question again and again to people such as myself, but I greatly appreciate any/all suggestions and help.

I've tried two seperate disks so far...The first one didn't even get to the Darwin bootloader, and now this second one gets me to the install menu but when I get to choosing which drive to install osx on to, I have no luck...I'll try another version and see if that works for me. Thanks for your help.

Tried uphuck's 10.4.9 as well as the BrazilMac patch, and still no success detecting my hard drive. Figured I'd pick up an IDE hard drive so I found one from an old computer a friend wasn't using (tested & working) and of course the Strike motherboard only has one IDE connection so it's either the hard drive or the cd-rom...Tried setting the hard drive as master/cd-rom as slave and vice versa with no luck....Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to give up on this but I've ran out of ideas.

im suffering the exact issue you guys are - but i can offer some advice - its not your hard drive. HDs are nice in the fact that they are a standard - if one works, theyll all work, if one doesnt work, theyll all not work. this isnt strictly 100% true (for instance the old >127gb and early windows OSs) but for all intents and purposes in this case, it is.

Its your chipset. if macos doesnt support your hard drive controller its not gonna see the HD. simple as. theres a couple of work rounds for this. the best is get a mobo that is supported. awkward but in the end its the nicest solution. alternatively, look for a kext for your hd chipset and homeroll your own install CD. next up is a pci hd controller card thats supported and final option is a firewire/usb drive thats supported. if uve got a laptop then kext/external is ur ownly real option :)

and thats where i am! ive got two external HDs - neither supported and a mobochipset which doesnt seem supported. Ive got an Acer 9815 which other than the HD issue would make a LOVELY mac. im stuck with a chipset that i assumed would just work (intel 82801G) and no clue on how to go forward :)

Djboo,

Thanks for the advice! I don't want to do something as drastic as swapping mobo's as mine was pretty pricey and I don't want to endure any more costs to run an alternative OS...but I will try some of the cheap/free suggestions and post on my success (if I make any further progress). Thanks again.

after reading the forums - it might be worth trying different IDE/SATA modes in the bios. i would tell you if this helps, but unfortuantly i have the most limited bios in the world and other than date and boot order i dont really have any options.

Hello together,

I have the same problem with the installation of Tiger. Only my IDE hard drive is detected. I think I have an old version which I want to install. How can I see what kind of version I try to install? If I boot from the DVD, a light blue screen with the apple sign in the middle of the screen appears. Do you know this version?

Now I will try to install Tubgirl 10.4.8. But I have problems to find this one in torrent. :censored2:

My System:

AMD 64 3200+

Asus A8N-SLI Premium

320GB SATA

2 GB RAM

I think I may have found something that will help me successfully install OSX on my computer as my hardware is fairly similar to this guys computer in this post. Here's the link for everyone, hopefully it will help me and anyone else looking for the same solution.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0&start=0

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

I have an intel raid controller, which I believe isn't supported by OSX, I tried from the first version for intel 10.4.3 right until Leopard, but no dice. Have been running 10.4.3 inside a virtual machine for a long time, when Leopard came, I had the same problem, it doens't see the harddrives, I decided to try it on an USB harddrive, and I have to say, it runs like a baby. Triple boot with Vista and Windows 2003 server, and it really runs fast (that was the big surprise).

• 2 weeks later...

i dont beleive this! im not sure how many people this applies too, but its certainly worth checking out.

as said above, i couldnt get osx to see my drives, raid card not supported. when trying to dual boot vista (comes with laptop) and windows FLP i discovered that WINDOWS couldnt see the hd either. this got me thinking, and lo-and-behold, theres an XP bios and a VISTA bios. i check out the xp bios and it comes with 2 versions:

R and I... now, im fairly experienced, but im not entirely sure, but fairly convinced - the R bios has raid controller, I bios is IDE based. installed the XP-I bios, and boof! OSX supports my laptop (not got it installed yet, im using the install time to write this on my other machine)

not all vendors will do this, but its a fairly standard hd chipset and the bios is an intel reference one, so its worth check/calling their tech support. i do know that its a way forward for Acer 9810 owners :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

damn i got same prob. with the HDD

i got windows to recognize my FAT32 partion(24 gb) and i gave it a letter

just gotta try again. if anyone has any good ideas leave me message!?

Specs:

Vostro 1000, AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-53 (1.7GHz/512KB)

15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD

1GB, DDR2, 533MHZ 2 Dimm

Integrated ATI Radeon X1150 Graphics, for Vostro 1000

120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+R write capability, with Cyberlink Power DVD

Integrated Audio 2.0

Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card

• 5 months later...

I have used 6 diff copies of Leopard, i found that Zephyroth Rev 1 boots to the install DVD and sees the internal HD But on reboot, you get a waiting for root device. It is the Chipset that is preventing the HD from being seen by other installers. Chipset installer is included in the Leo4All Rev 1 but is not already integrated in the Leo4All installer like the Zephyroth installer is. I have been able to install and boot ANY copy to an external USB device and it works great. But you have to find and install chipsets for it for the OS to see the internal HD. I am working on it at home very thoroughly. Many Many trial and errors. Once i perfect it, ill put up a guide. So far my next theory is to install onto an External HD, then from there, install the chipsets so it sees the internal Drive, then installing it on the internal Drive from within the External OS. msg for any ideas or comments.