Strange problems with a GA-P35-DS4

agrafuese

17 posts in this topic

EDIT: Shortened my long story a bit :)

I recently built a system based on the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4. It's a dual-boot system running Win XP and OSX(JaS 10.4.8 + Koolkal 10.4.10). Everything seemed to be running fine for a while - I had audio working with a simple patch, as well as the Realtek ethernet, also with patch.

After transporting the computer over to a friends house (for whom it was built), we noticed that whenever we start up Windows, restart the computer, and then boot into OSX, we lose functionality on the ethernet port. The drivers wont load, and the little green light inside the port wont even turn on.

The only remedy we've discovered so far is to plug/unplug ANYTHING into/out of the motherboard (such as a SATA cable, jumper, etc.), turn on the computer, and boot straight into OSX. Ethernet will work properly then. However, as soon as we boot into Windows and then boot back into OSX we lose it again.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Why does Windows kill the ethernet port? And why does physically messing with the motherboard bring it back? Is it some kind of electrical problem causing a re-initializing of the ethernet port somehow? It makes no sense! Any thoughts or wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Agra

Really strange problem indeed.

I don't have the solution for it but maybe it has something to do with Windows changing the MAC address on the ethernet. I had a problem once with my ISP that requiered me to change my MAC address to get internet access. At the time I wasn't able to do that in OS X so I had to boot into Windows, change MAC address and then restart into OS X. The changed MAC Adress remained until I did a hard shut down. That doesn't explain why it starts working again of you poke with the board but maybe this piece of info is usefull somehow.

I have no problem whatsoever with my P35C-DS3R, which consists almost entirely of the same hardware, under 10.5 although I haven't tried it under 10.4 except booting it once off the DVD to format a partition for 10.5. installation. It might be worth a try using Leo then :(

Thanks for the replies guys! I wasn't sure if anyone would read all that text, haha.

@PowerSupply - out of curiosity, what version of OSX are you running? And who released it?

@Azurael - we were definitely wondering how Leopard would run on this board, and if there would be more compatibility with ICH9R, etc. Can you tell me what build you downloaded? Was there any special process to get it to install (you mentioned booting Tiger CD to format) ? Is there a guide anywhere on it? And, are you dual-booting with WinXP or Vista also, or just single-boot ?

Thanks for the info :)

agrafuese,

I had the same problem but with my video card instead. Its a 7300GT and it will just give me a blank screen when I rebooted from windows into OSX. I had to cold start the computer for it to work. I never knew what caused it i just replaced the card and the problem was gone.

The problem with the vanishing Ethernet seems to be a BIOS bug. For me the following workaround works:

- Let smart Ethernet in BIOS or whatever it is called detect your ethernet cable etc.

- enable the Ethernet boot rom in Bios (V7).

- boot

Then ethernet works (in my case) 100% with each boot. Unfortunately this adds (another) few seconds to boot delay, but you can configure the boot to wait only for a short period of time.

Hope that helps

Regards

Joey

thanks for the reply joey, i'll see if i can stop by my friend's place tonight and try that out. right now we only have version 6 of the bios, but i'll try upgrading to 7 and see what we can get out of that. also, i'm not too sure what you mean by "smart ethernet", but i do know what you mean regarding the boot rom. i think one time i accidentally enabled that feature and it did something weird, but i'll try it again after i upgrade to 7. thanks again for that info, and i will make sure to post when i have a result.

cheers,

agra

What I read before is that Windows has a default firmware setting (I think wake on LAN or something similar) which when Windows is active, the value will be written to the ethernet chip. The work around is to go to the windows ethernet driver and change the values to one which OSX needs. Look for a post somewhere, this was explained before.

EDIT: The original post was far too wordy, so I decided to write a blog with all the details. You can read it here. See my question below:

I recently built a system based on the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4. It's a dual-boot system running Win XP and OSX(JaS 10.4.8 + Koolkal 10.4.10). Everything seemed to be running fine for a while - I had audio working with a simple patch, as well as the Realtek ethernet, also with patch.

After transporting the computer over to a friends house (for whom it was built), we noticed that whenever we start up Windows, restart the computer, and then boot into OSX, we lose functionality on the ethernet port. The drivers wont load, and the little green light inside the port wont even turn on.

The only remedy we've discovered so far is to plug/unplug ANYTHING into/out of the motherboard (such as a SATA cable, jumper, etc.), turn on the computer, and boot straight into OSX. Ethernet will work properly then. However, as soon as we boot into Windows and then boot back into OSX we lose it again.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Why does Windows kill the ethernet port? And why does physically messing with the motherboard bring it back? Is it some kind of electrical problem causing a re-initializing of the ethernet port somehow? It makes no sense! Any thoughts or wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Agra

• 2 weeks later...

GA-P35-DS4 rev. 1.2 very new revision.

I can confirm strange problem with on-board network. I was installed Leopard ToH RC2, and patched a Audio - can confirm that 2 output channels and mic IN channel works, I can use skype without any problems.

I restart or shutdown million times PC and everything works ok, but If I start Windows XP from other - second disk and than restart (restart or shutdown) network card does not works in Leopard. I read some posts of changing sata cables and other hardware changes to get network card working back but only thing you should do is to unplug power cord - cable for a wile and put it back and on-board network card is working again.

Maybe this mobo is strict oriented, you can use only one os :)

Oops! Looks like I accidentally abandoned this thread some weeks ago. If anyone is wondering, I utlimately "fixed" this problem by turning on the "Boot LAN" in the BIOS as JoeyKing suggested above (sorry if that's not the actual name of the setting...I'm not around my friend's computer to confirm). Anyway, I say "fixed" because it's really not fixed in the true sense of the word. The reason being that when this option is turned on, it causes a delay of about 35+ seconds in the boot-up routine. This option is not to be confused with the other option that JoeyKing also pointed out above, which you can change the delay time on. This is a different option and the delay time on it cannot be changed. I should point out that I did not update the BIOS to version 7 as I had originally wanted, so I can't say whether or not updating the BIOS would have a positive effect on the long start up time. Fortunately, my friend doesn't reboot the computer often, so this delayed start up issue is of little concern.

For those who are interested, I believe this is the Windows fix that Moviebody mentioned above:

The issue:

Windows by default disables the NIC at Windows shutdown time in order to disable Wake-On-Lan, and the NIC will remain disabled until the next time Windows turns it on. The driver does not know how to turn the NIC on from this disabled state when starting up in another OS; therefore, the device will not respond, even if the driver loads and reports that the device is up. To work around this problem, simply enable the feature "Wake-on-lan after shutdown." You can set this option through Windows' device manager.

Here's how:

- Boot up Windows

- Right click on My Computer

- Click on Properties -- Hardware -- Device Manager

- Expand your network card section and double click on your network card

- Set "Wake-on-lan after shutdown" to 'enabled'

Since I am not around my friend's computer, I can't try this out, but if someone else has success with this fix, a report back here would be great.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

-Agra

I am running Leopard 10.5.1 (and previously 10.4.8/10.4.10). I dual boot windows xp via grub.

I have a GA-p35-ds4 Rev 2.0, F7 Bios

I was experiencing this issue where ethernet would stop working after booting into Windows.

I tried out Moviebody's suggesting of booting into windows, setting "Wake-on-lan after shutdown" to "enabled" and then booting back into OS X - and it works like a charm!!

thanks very much for this fix!

@empire29: that's great news! i haven't had my friend try it out for himself yet, but it's good to know that the method works! thanks for letting us know.

@modularprince: you are right - it does work with those settings, but what version of bios are you running? i ask because we already have the same settings that you've mentioned, but when we enabled lan boot rom, it added an extra 30 seconds to the boot-up time that we couldn't change. this is why i want to recommend the "wake-on-lan" setting in windows to my friend instead of those bios settings. perhaps you are running a newer version of the bios that doesn't cause the delay?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the wonderful tip for this mobo.

Though I have this problem even if I do that "wake on lan" enabling method in XP,

while using Leopard 10.5.1.

As some of you still are in the same boat as I am, where you can't shutdown correctly

in Leopard 10.5.1, if it doesn't shutdown correctly, that will cause this strange network problem

to arise again when you next boot up into 10.5.1.

So I would need to go back to XP everytime it happens, disable, enable "wake on lan" and then

coming back to Leopard and the network is back up.

Enabling "Wake up Lan ROM" in the Bios never worked for me before.

Mine on the DS4(rev.2.0 b7) is,

Braziled, EFI8-ed, Most kexts Vanilla-ed, 10.5.1-ed.

Hopefully some of you can give me a clue on this matter.

If I can get the way to shutdown correctly from Leopard, I think that will make it.

thanks much.

rktr

Hello I to had this problem of the disapering ethernet card after loading Xp. I followed the instructions about the wake on Lan and it works great. Also did not notice an increase in boot time that has been reported.

Working:

Asrock p4vm800

P4 - 3.4 Pres

80 Gig/2

Xp - 40Gb

Leo - 40Gb

Realtek chipped ethernet card.

Logitech G5

Toh Rc2

Keyboard 1 - IBM

Dual boot with Xp's Boot loader & "tboot" fix

Bugged:

Ac97 Audio - - - - - - - - - working on one channel only :-(

Ati 1650 Pro --------------- working but can't change res :-(

Zboard - - - - - - - - -- Who cares about this one.

Will endevour to fix the rest.

Thanks

Skeeter

• 2 months later...

I have been trying like h3ll to get the ethernet working on my Gigabyte P35-DS3R when I came across this glorious thread. Low and behold, the ethernet light was off. I booted back into XP and enabled wake on lane as described here, and volia! problem solved.

This is a really tricky one. Thanks to everyone here for the fixes.

• 4 months later...